Select to view content in your preferred language

Reassign Route failed unexpectedly on simple route reassignment

Jump to solution
07-31-2022 10:45 PM
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

Attached is a Python script that I run from ArcGIS Pro 3.0.0 to create a File Geodatabase to create and load a test LRS dataset with two routes belonging to one line.  It looks like this:

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_0-1659331038912.png

What I am trying to do is to split Route 1 at its 1,000m measure so that it becomes a new Route 3 from 1,000 to 2,000m and leaves Route 1 from 0 to 1,000m.

To do this I try the following:

1. Use the Location Referencing ribbon tab to click Split Centerline By Measure
  2. Choose the route whose centerline is to be split by pointing anywhere along it and then in the Location Referencing pane to its Measure (in meters) value as 1000

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_1-1659331712263.png

1. The Centerline seems to split as expected.  I have tried saving edits at this point and leaving them unsaved - it does not seem to matter to the rest of the procedure.

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_3-1659332030056.png

(note that the 100m hatches layer and the TestLRSNetwork layer both have the TestLRSNetwork feature class as their data source)

1. To reassign the last 1,000m of Route 1 to Route 3 choose the Reassign tool from the Routes group on the Linear Referencing ribbon tab and set Network: TestLRSNetwork, Effective Date: <today>, From Route Name: Route 1, From Measure (in meters): 1000, To Route Name: Route 1, To Measure (in meters): 2000 (by getting it to Use route end measure) and for the Target Route I set Route Name: Route 3, From Measure (in meters): 1000 and To Measure (in meters): 2000

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_4-1659332231863.png

• I click Next and get an error of Reassign Route failed unexpectedly:

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_5-1659332627977.png

Why did this fail?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JordanM_Support
Esri Contributor

Hi @GraemeBrowning_Aurizon ,

Is this LRS stored in a Geographic Coordinate System? If so, have you referred to the "LRS Data in Geographic Coordinate System" article published by @AyanPalit in this board? You can find the article here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pipeline-referencing-documents/lrs-data-in-geographic-coordinat...and it describes using the Densify tool to add vertices to the routes feature class, which can resolve some editing error that might occur when working with LRS data in Geographic Coordinate Systems.

Hopefully densifying the routes will allow the route reassignment to complete successfully!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JordanM_Support
Esri Contributor

Hi @GraemeBrowning_Aurizon ,

Is this LRS stored in a Geographic Coordinate System? If so, have you referred to the "LRS Data in Geographic Coordinate System" article published by @AyanPalit in this board? You can find the article here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pipeline-referencing-documents/lrs-data-in-geographic-coordinat...and it describes using the Densify tool to add vertices to the routes feature class, which can resolve some editing error that might occur when working with LRS data in Geographic Coordinate Systems.

Hopefully densifying the routes will allow the route reassignment to complete successfully!

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Jordan

That tip was what I needed.  I am using a Geographic Coordinate System (GCS_GDA_1994) and after reading the PDF you pointed me at I calculated an L value of 71.31203439812947 that I rounded down to 50m.  After tweaking the Python script (attached), that I run from ArcGIS Pro 3.0.0 to create a File Geodatabase to create and load a test LRS dataset with two routes belonging to one line, so that it included a Geodetic Densify of 50m, I was able to do the same workflow above and create the desired result of:

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_0-1659398865938.png