Select to view content in your preferred language

AdminCacheKey

06-24-2010 02:55 PM
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
How is this value calculated?  How do we get a new one?  Can this go bad where it prevents us from logging in to clear cache?
0 Kudos
30 Replies
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
Trevor,

Another simple scenario to check is to make sure the case of the password entered is correct.

Additionally, you can try enabling security access logging on the SOM machine to see if there is any error message logged in the windows event log?

1. Goto start-> control panel -> administrative tools -> local security policy
2. click on local policies - audit policy
3. Right click on "audit object access", select properties.
4. check the box to audit for "failure" attempts
5. Right click on "audit privilege use", select properties.
6. check the box to audit for "failure" attempts
7. click OK and save the settings
8. Attempt to login to REST admin using the domain user. If the login fails, there could be "audit failure" events logged in the windows event view security log.
0 Kudos
JacobBartruff
Deactivated User
I have the same issue also.  I cannot login to /ArcGIS/rest/admin/login

I used to be able to.  I tried all the options listed above and nothing helped.  I am not getting any failure messages in the Event Viewer either.  The only thing I can think of that is different from when I first install ArcGIS Server 10 and now, is that I install the .NET Framework 4.  Would that cause this issue?
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Yeah, another one.

I have .net 4 on my box as well.
0 Kudos
JacobBartruff
Deactivated User
I reinstalled the system (keeping .NET 4 installed) just to see if it would help...It did not.  I cannot login with my user that is in agsadmin but I can access the rest admin with the arcgiswebservices account....
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
I reinstalled the system (keeping .NET 4 installed) just to see if it would help...It did not.  I cannot login with my user that is in agsadmin but I can access the rest admin with the arcgiswebservices account....

I tried that a couple of times, I was not successful as well.  This is my exact problem.  My solution was to go into the rest config and schedule my cache to get cleared automatically because I still cannot log in.
0 Kudos
StephenLead
Honored Contributor
Trevor,

Can you check if the ArcGISWebServices user account (or whichever webservices account name that was specified durign the postinstall) is part of the agsadmin group? If not try adding this user to agsadmin and retry login using the domain account?

Ravi

Ravi,

I'm having the same problem using ArcGIS Server 10 on XP SP3. My domain windows login is part of agsadmin but this doesn't allow me to log into the Admin page.

Using a local/ArcGISWebServices doesn't work either, and this user is part of agsadmin.

No error message is shown in either case.

Thanks for any advice,
Steve
0 Kudos
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
Steve,

Are you able to log into the ArcGIS Manager usign the same account?

1. fully type the url to the login page: http://servername/arcgis/rest/admin/login

2. make sure the local user is specified as:

MACHINENAME\localusername
or
localusername

3. password is case sensitive. So verify that it is entered correctly.
0 Kudos
JoãoMendes
Occasional Contributor
Having the same problem... I get this error on the log:
ERROR:Unable to determine if the user is an admin
0 Kudos
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
The error:  "Unable to determine if the user is an admin" can happen when logging into REST admin using a domain user when a. the server is off the network or b. when arcgis server is installed on a subdomain and ArcGIS Server SOM process is run as a local user. 

A workaround is to login to REST admin as a local user that belongs to the agsadmin group instead of a domain user.

We are addressing this in 10.0 SP1 by changing the way the validation for a user beloging to the agsadmin group is made. (NIM059442: http://resources.arcgis.com/content/nimbus-bug?bugID=TklNMDU5NDQy).

Thanks to everyone (Ted, Trevor, Jacob, Steve and João) who provided feedback on this.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
The error:  "Unable to determine if the user is an admin" can happen when logging into REST admin using a domain user when a. the server is off the network or b. when arcgis server is installed on a subdomain and ArcGIS Server SOM process is run as a local user. 

A workaround is to login to REST admin as a local user that belongs to the agsadmin group instead of a domain user.

We are addressing this in 10.0 SP1 by changing the way the validation for a user beloging to the agsadmin group is made. (NIM059442: http://resources.arcgis.com/content/nimbus-bug?bugID=TklNMDU5NDQy).

Thanks to everyone (Ted, Trevor, Jacob, Steve and João) who provided feedback on this.

Thank you Ravi for listening.  This is fantastic news.  Sp1 is looking to be a good sp, hopefully nothing else breaks 😉
0 Kudos