Dynamic layers do not support min/max scale

09-20-2011 02:44 PM
RyanCooney
New Contributor III
In 10.1 Beta the MapServer/export endpoint does not allow you to supply min/max scale values for dynamic layers created from workspaces. This means that dynamic layers are visible at all scale ranges.

Will this functionality be available in a later beta/final release? It is a bit of a show stopper for us at the moment.

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
SrinivasVinnakota
Esri Contributor
Ryan,
  It is by design that dynamic layers do not provide support for min/max scales. Since clients know the current map scale, they could use this information to determine if they have to include a dynamic layer or exclude it from a request that is sent to the server. Also, ArcGIS Web APIs have functions that let you determine the current map scale.

There are couple of reasons for not including support for min/max scale:
1. This would cut down on the request size that is sent to the server by not including dynamic layers that are not going to be displayed on the map.
2. It is an expensive operation to create a dynamic layer on the server and then to check if the scale falls outside the range of min/max scale.

Please let us know of your use case (show-stopper) on why you would want to map server to determine layer visibility based on the min/max scale set on the dynamic layer.
0 Kudos
RyanCooney
New Contributor III
Thanks for the quick response.

The use case isn�??t anything too special. I need to add a dynamic layer that has lots of features, so I only want it rendered at scales greater than, say, 1:10,000.

If the client APIs will honor the scale ranges and exclude out of range dynamic layer definitions from the request then there would be no problem. But this does not appear to be the case with the Silverlight 3.0 Beta API. Any scales I set on the DynamicLayerInfo object are ignored. Is this supposed to work?

Thanks
0 Kudos