Quick Capture Field Use Issues

Jump to solution
09-02-2020 09:06 AM
ClintBoaz2
New Contributor II

Hey everybody,

Still relatively new to quick capture.  Just had a field crew take it out on a trial run to collect point features and they ran into some issues.  I have run some tests using both my mobile phone and the android based Trimble field data collection unit they used and ran into the same issues.

First, the tile package base map I used for the project only displays when connected to wifi.  You can collect points without wifi, but the map page displays all grey with no current location marker.  Second, if you try to connect to public wifi the map page will “loading map” forever which will not allow the points to be sent.  Not sure if this is just an issue with the strength of the public wifi not being powerful enough to load the tile package map.  Finally, just something to be aware of, the field crew said they got signed out somehow without pressing the sign out button (which would not be good without wifi around).  After playing around with the app trying to figure out how this could have happened I realized if you press the information button for a project and then use the back button on your device it will make it appear as if you have signed out.  If you close the app and reopen it however, you are still signed in.

Any insight would be appreciated

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Updates:

- The issue where the user can't open an offline basemap, if the app was opened with the device is offline has been fixed in 1.7 (due for release in mid-September 2020).

- The issue with the back button does not affect all Android devices and will be addressed in 1.8.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Clint

To investigate:

• Can you share the exact device model and operating system versions?
  • What do you see when you are offline? Is it a series of grid cells? If so it could be that the GPS location of the device is outside of the extent of the TPK. This would cause the grey screen and missing location marker.
  • Can you create a group and share the project and layer items with the following user: QCCreator? If so I can take a look and see if there is an issue with the project.
  • If the project is trying to load a map on WIFI, then this would indicate that the project has an online map assigned. TPKs don't need WIFI to load.
  • Can you share why it looks as if the app is signed out - what change do you see?

Thanks very much

John

0 Kudos
ClintBoaz2
New Contributor II

Hey Johnathan,

Thanks for getting back so quick and being so helpful with all my Quick Capture questions.  

• Our field device is a Trimble TDC600 running android 8.0.0.  I have also tested it on my smartphone with the same results (Motorola G7 power, android 10)
  • There as no grid cells it is just grey.  The device is within the extent of the tile package map.  The map appears with correct current location with wifi turned on.
  • I have shared the map with QCCreator
  • That is strange because the only map associated with the project is a tile package
  • After entering the information page for a project, then using the back button on the device (replicated on both devices) it brings you back to the page you see when you first open the app (highway with orange fade) with a message that reads: "Your device is offline.  You need to sign in to use this app.  You can't sign in while offline.".  If you exit the app and then reopen it does reopen into the My Workspace page.  This just threw off some of our field users and I thought others might want to be aware.

Thanks again,

Clint

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Clint - can we get on a call? Please email quickcapture@esri.com. I'm not able to see a request to join a group.

0 Kudos
ClintBoaz2
New Contributor II

yes, just sent an email

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Updates:

- The issue where the user can't open an offline basemap, if the app was opened with the device is offline has been fixed in 1.7 (due for release in mid-September 2020).

- The issue with the back button does not affect all Android devices and will be addressed in 1.8.

0 Kudos