QC Crashing after collecting photo points

03-17-2021 05:11 AM
Labels (1)
MeganEngel
Occasional Contributor II

A hand full of end-users in my organization have been experiencing crashing issues with the QuickCapture applications I have deployed.

The applications allow users to collect a single point, take a photo, and write a note.  The users encountering the crashing issue can take the photo, but then the app crashes. 

Is there something I do on the designer side of things to resolve the issue, or provide them guidance on how to resolve the issue on their devices.  They have all update their devices, uninstalled and re-installed the QC application, and remove and re-add the specific QC apps I have authored.  Additionally, this has happened both in the AGOL QC apps I have authored, and one of the Enterprise QC apps I have authored.

I had them send me the specs on their devices.

• Device 1
    • Iphone 6
    • iOS – 12.5.1
    • QC Version – 1.9.127
  • Device 2
    • iPhone 7
    • iOS 14.4.1
    • QC 1.9.127
  • Device 3
    • iPhone XR
    • iOS 13.6

0 Kudos
8 Replies
BrianMoT
New Contributor III

My advice would be to check your database careful. Is there the correct datatype set in your DB? Are you collecting  text in String field, numbers in Number field and photos in Attachment field. Are all these fields correctly set in QC? 
I had some like this problem when I accidentally changed the field in QC where I collecting text data to the field with number field type. In this case QC had crashed when it tried to send collected data to the DB.

0 Kudos
MeganEngel

Yes, this has happened to my end-users before and they were able to email the data and I was able to use the data recovery method and amend the data back into the dataset.

JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Megan,

This sounds like the app has run out of memory and is getting pushed to background. We have seen this on iPhone 6's but not 7's.

Some questions:

- Is the crash reliable? i.e. does it happen every time a photo is taken or randomly after taking a few photos?

- Can you share your project with the QCCreator user (via a group). We can take a look at the project and test it out on the iPhones we have here. Just to rule out a project issue.

- Are the users running multiple memory intensive apps at the same time? It may be worth doing a device restart and then only open the apps that are required for the workflow.

- Does the device have eneough storage space? Is there room for images to be stored?

Please let us know.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

The other thing to do is check that battery saving mode is enabled in the QuickCapture app. This means the camera is not running all the time, and helps with memory consumption.

0 Kudos
MeganEngel

Hey John, thanks for getting back with me.

1. The users encountering the issues all have ore than 5 GB of memory on their device
  2. They all have the battery saving mode turned on.
  3. The iPhone 6 and 7 have reliable crashes, then the iPhone X has unreliable crashes, and it's more random when it happens.
  4. Users are running collector at the same time as QC I would say 50% of the time.  Sometimes they may have S123 open as well, but that is less common.

The QCCreator account has been added to my organizations troubleshooting group.  You should be able to see the application and data associated with this application.  My username with my organization is "aprickett_angler".

Here is the link to one of our applications that is experiencing crashes: https://arcg.is/G1O8X  

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Megan

The project looks good. I could not see any issues there.

- Could you confirm whether this was a new issue since moving to 1.9 (did you see the same issue in previous versions?)

- Could you confirm whether you are seeing the crash in the projects under the try me mode in QuickCapture? For example the Marine Debris Sampling project.

- Could you try turning off battery saving mode in the app. Does this make any difference? We did make a change to the default behaviour on iOS devices, so I would like to rule this out.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
MeganEngel

John,

The crashing for two of the users has occurred with previous versions of QC.

As for the other two lines, I have folks testing this now and will respond when I get their details. 

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Megan

0 Kudos