Off-line QuickCapture

Jump to solution
08-19-2019 09:38 AM
TimHoeflich
New Contributor III

Ismael was very helpful with my 1st question.  I do have another.  But first some background.  My grandfather served with the American Expeditionary Force in France during WW1 or "la Grand Guerre".  Over the past 2 years I have built a story map describing this.

http://untilitsover.org

I will travel to France next month to retrace part of this route.  This QuickCapture tool has allowed me to rapidly develop a way to gather data in the field, and post it to my story map as I go.  I will travel in parts of France where there may be no cell phone service.  I've read the QuickCapture can gather data off-line, and then sync with AGOL later.  How does this work?  What do I need to do to enable this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Tim Hoeflich‌ ! There is  nothing in particular you need to do for ArcGIS QuickCapture to work offline. Once you download a QuickCapture project, you can use it even if completely disconnected from the network. Just a few tips and things to keep in mind:

• While offline, you cannot see a map with all the data you have in your device. This is a known limitation in version 1.1 which we plan to address in version 1.2, where  you will be able to define your own offline maps. Note that while you cannot see the map while offline, you will be able to capture data with no problem.
  • While offline, you cannot login into the mobile app.  This should not be a problem for you as long as you login before you go offline. If you  happen to logout while offline, you will not be able to use the app until you are connected. In short: DO NOT LOGOUT if you plan to work offline. This is not a limitation. This is by design.
  • All data captured while offline will be kept in your device. You can capture data for days/weeks if you like. Once  you connect to the network, you will be able to send data as usual.  You can for example capture data during your day and then back in a hotel connect to the WIFI and send the data so you can see it in ArcGIS and your story map.

And now, to what is really important: Your story map and everything narrated in it is fascinating! I hope you have a great time in France.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Tim Hoeflich‌ ! There is  nothing in particular you need to do for ArcGIS QuickCapture to work offline. Once you download a QuickCapture project, you can use it even if completely disconnected from the network. Just a few tips and things to keep in mind:

• While offline, you cannot see a map with all the data you have in your device. This is a known limitation in version 1.1 which we plan to address in version 1.2, where  you will be able to define your own offline maps. Note that while you cannot see the map while offline, you will be able to capture data with no problem.
  • While offline, you cannot login into the mobile app.  This should not be a problem for you as long as you login before you go offline. If you  happen to logout while offline, you will not be able to use the app until you are connected. In short: DO NOT LOGOUT if you plan to work offline. This is not a limitation. This is by design.
  • All data captured while offline will be kept in your device. You can capture data for days/weeks if you like. Once  you connect to the network, you will be able to send data as usual.  You can for example capture data during your day and then back in a hotel connect to the WIFI and send the data so you can see it in ArcGIS and your story map.

And now, to what is really important: Your story map and everything narrated in it is fascinating! I hope you have a great time in France.

TimHoeflich
New Contributor III

Ismael, thank you again.  I tested this by opening QC, then shutting down wifi and cell service.  I gathered a route, a location, and took a picture.  I then reconnected wifi and cell It appears to transfer data, but the behavior is something I will experiment with.