.proConfigX Configuration Moved to URL?

04-21-2021 07:30 AM
MKa
by
Occasional Contributor III

I currently have a custom config application that I install with a batch script to set the ConfigurationFolder to a network share drive that my worldwide users can access if they indeed do have that drive mapped.  But since everyone is working remotely, this has become an issue. This runs in an install batch file, so users always have latest version

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESRI\ArcGISPro\Settings" /v "ConfigurationFolder" /t REG_SZ /d "V:\NetworkDriveExample\NetworkDriveExample" /f
echo Configuration Registry Path Set

I think this works most of the time, but I would like to move this to a URL that our users can access instead.  That URL would be accessable on our network and not make me do this step.  Alternatively, I would also like users to be able to manually reload the .proconfigx file from an "About" page if their version is out of date.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Wolf
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Please note that this registry kay will be deprecated for Pro 3.x.   See more here: ArcGIS Pro Registry Keys · ArcGIS/arcgis-pro-sdk Wiki (github.com)

I try to get more information from the Pro Dev team in regards to this feature since other developers have asked for similar capabilities before.  

In order to get this implemented (as a workaround), I can only think of installing an add-in on all Pro machines that will download and/or update the latest releases of add-ins or configurations from your website to your local well-known locations.  

You can publish an .esriaddinx file on Portal from where your users can install a 'management' add-in.  This 'management' add-in would then be running on all clients (by not using JIT - the autoload attribute in your insertModule tag) to check your URLs for updated configurations or add-ins and download them into a well-known local folder.

I will let you know after I hear back from the Pro dev team if there are better solutions coming up.

0 Kudos
MKa
by

Thank you.  I will have to come up with a better solution then.  Much like OOB Pro has to alert user of a new version, i will need to use that logic for my esriaddinx  file.  I need users to be on the latest version autmatically and to get that version from portal or other url.

0 Kudos
MKa
by

I am looking into this issue again.  After the initial installation of my configuration, I would like my users configurations to be auto updated.  I don't want to use the well known directory or with the configurationfolder registry entry.  We are moving everything to the portal, so i would like to update my configuration application using the portal somehow.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
MKa
by

Was this NOT depricated?  I still see configurationfolder in the documentation

https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk/wiki/ArcGIS-Pro-Registry-Keys

Also, I am still trying to get away from a registry/local drive to have as my configuration folder.  I want users to be able to use my application and have it point to my latest configuration when they aren't on my companies network.  I currently put the proconfigx on company drive and users always have the latest.  But I would prefer to move to portal or sharepoint location.

0 Kudos