Preparing for the ArcGIS Pro 3.0 SDK and .Net6

Jump to solution
04-08-2022 07:30 AM
JoëlHempenius3
Occasional Contributor II

I'm currently developing and maintaining two commercially available Addins for ArcGIS Pro. I've clients on various versions of ArcGIS Pro, most of them between 2.6 and 2.8. The Add-In is also available in the Marketplace.

During the Devsummit ArcGIS Pro 3.0, the 3.0 SDK and the migration to .Net6 were announced. I completely understand why this happens sometimes and I hope the migration tools work in my case.

However it brings some challenges for me as developer, because I need to migratie and update my Add-Ins to support 3.0. However, not all my users will update to 3.0 right after release, so I will need to support the 2.x users of my Add-In.

As far as I can see right now, this would mean I would need another development (virtual) machine, so I can develop and debug the ArcGIS Pro 2.x versions of my AddIn on the current machine and a new virtual machine with ArcGIS Pro 3.0,  and the 3.0 SDK for the ArcGIS Pro 3.0 version of my AddIn.Correct?

And for the Marketplace: is it possible to offer two versions of my Addin, where the user can choose to download and install the 2.x version of the Addin or the 3.x version of the Addin?

-Joël Hempenius.

Languages: JavaScript, Python and Dunglish
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Joel, Dan mentioned some Pro 3.0 information we posted back in January that may be helpful on considerations at 3.0, on what the team is planning and expectations around the general upgrade process. Also mentioned for the 3.0 release, we'll have upgrade/migration guide docs and tools to help you with the process.

Regarding development, as only one version of Pro can be installed on a machine, developing your 2.x and 3.x add-in code on separate machines will be required.  Working on a virtual machine as you mentioned could be an option.

Also regarding the ArcGIS Marketplace, yes, currently only one add-in version is supported for each listing. So you will need to create 2 separate listings -- one for your 2.x version, and one for your 3.x version. You can download a new listing application while logged into the Esri Partner Community site here. Please contact your Esri Partner Manager if you have further questions about the listing application process.

For any questions or comments, please tag Original Publisher -  @ChristopherZent ("Anonymous User")

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

as an aside, perhaps the 3.0 look ahead section would be of interest if you haven't seen it

ArcGIS Pro Extensibility – 2021 in Review and What... - Esri Community

... sort of retired...
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Joel, Dan mentioned some Pro 3.0 information we posted back in January that may be helpful on considerations at 3.0, on what the team is planning and expectations around the general upgrade process. Also mentioned for the 3.0 release, we'll have upgrade/migration guide docs and tools to help you with the process.

Regarding development, as only one version of Pro can be installed on a machine, developing your 2.x and 3.x add-in code on separate machines will be required.  Working on a virtual machine as you mentioned could be an option.

Also regarding the ArcGIS Marketplace, yes, currently only one add-in version is supported for each listing. So you will need to create 2 separate listings -- one for your 2.x version, and one for your 3.x version. You can download a new listing application while logged into the Esri Partner Community site here. Please contact your Esri Partner Manager if you have further questions about the listing application process.

For any questions or comments, please tag Original Publisher -  @ChristopherZent ("Anonymous User")

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

waiting patiently for beta 😉

... sort of retired...
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Will programming in Pro 3.0 require a minimum of Visual Studio 2022?

0 Kudos
StephenRhea_NV5
Occasional Contributor

Yes. Per the API Reference: "Note: ArcGIS Pro 2.9 SDK is the last release with support for Visual Studio 2017 and 2019. The ArcGIS Pro 3.0 SDK will introduce support for Visual Studio 2022, Microsoft's latest edition of its IDE. Support for Visual Studio 2022 will replace support for Visual Studio 2017 and 2019. With 3.0, Visual Studio 2017 and 2019 will no longer be supported."

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, Pro 3.0 development will be with Visual Studio 2022.  This deprecation technical article discusses the upcoming changes. 

0 Kudos