Performance problems when updating a Field in a feature class with different values for each row

03-12-2021 03:26 AM
Eloy
by
New Contributor II

Hi, I am trying to update a field with different values for each row in a feature class. I have already found a solution, but the performance is pretty slow for feature classes containing more than 10.000 Features. For instance, in a feature class with 100.000 features it may take approximately 3 minutes.

For the time being I am using a cursor obtained by calling  the search function in the FeatureClass object.

using (Geodatabase geodatabase = new Geodatabase(new FileGeodatabaseConnectionPath(new Uri(fgdbPath))))
                {
                    using (FeatureClass table = geodatabase.OpenDataset<FeatureClass>(fcName))
                    {
                        var cursor = table.Search(new QueryFilter()
                        {
                            SubFields = "OBJECTID, field"
                        }, false);
                        while (cursor.MoveNext())
                        {
                            var row = cursor.Current;
                            row["field"] = dictionary[(long) row["OBJECTID"]];
                            row.Store();
                        }
                    }
                }

Is there an alternative to update a field faster than Cursor or perhaps I am missing something in the way I use the cursor?.

I also tried running the geoprocess Join Field which runs way faster than using the cursor, but in that case an intermediate table must be created in first place and later replace the new field for the old field.

Any suggestion is welcome. Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RichRuh
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Eloy,

Is the feature class you are editing has any relationship classes with messaging enabled, you might want to use an edit session (i.e., Geodatabase.ApplyEdits).  Otherwise, what you are doing is the fastest way currently. We are investigating creating an UpdateCursor class in a future version of Pro.

--Rich

Eloy
by
New Contributor II

Hi Rich,

Thanks for answering. The feature class has not relationship class with messaging enbled. An update cursor would be super userful.

Eloy.

0 Kudos
KirkKuykendall1
Occasional Contributor III

I'd be curious what performance gains you'd get by moving from file geodatabase to a sqlite geodatabase, and using something like microsoft.data.sqlite to do the updates.

0 Kudos
AndersHansen80
New Contributor

Regarding the Subfields property and Updating rows
I'm not sure if this is in the documentation.

But for anyone that experience the Pro SDK crash on row.Store().
Make sure to include ObjectID in subfields. 

0 Kudos
Aashis
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Regarding the Pro SDK crash on Row.Store(), not only without the ObjectID; the crash will occur if other attribute or relationship fields associated with the edited field are unavailable in the search cursor. Therefore, using a search cursor inside the edit session, scope to edit operation is the recommended way to update rows.

0 Kudos