Select to view content in your preferred language

Map Control for User Selection in Dialog Box or WPF Window

11-17-2023 08:46 AM
spaplanus2
New Contributor

I am evaluating moving an existing ArcMap project to ArcGIS Pro.   I need to see if there is an example of how to do this with the ArcGIS Pro SDK.   I have a wizard in ArcMap where one of the steps is a screen display with a map with a layer for the user to select features for the particular polygon layer.   I used the AxMapControl and AxToolbarControl to allow the user to do this selection.   If I move it over to ArcGIS Pro, I would need to have the same capabilities.    I was wondering if this is possible to do, or if I need to look at an additional developer api to make this work in the application.   Is there any examples or documentation on how to do this?

Steve

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SusanPaplanus
New Contributor II

Thank you for the suggested articles, they were helpful, but I am now stuck with how to enable the selection of an item on the map.  If I can figure out how to get something similar to the identify tool to work with the map control, then I think I have a complete path in order to get 90% of the functionality I need.   I appreciate the help you have given me on this.

Steve

0 Kudos
GKmieliauskas
Esri Regular Contributor
SusanPaplanus
New Contributor II

OK, I looked at the code you suggested, which was helped a little bit further.  Now, I have the following code:

var uri = new Uri(out_feature_class);  // out_feature_class = 'C:\db\test.gdb\resultsInfo'
var featureLayerParams = new FeatureLayerCreationParams(uri);
FeatureLayer featureLayer = null;

Map currentMap = null;
try
{
await QueuedTask.Run(() =>
{
currentMap = MapFactory.Instance.CreateMap("tempMap", basemap: Basemap.None);
//TODO: use the map...
});
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine(ex.Message);
}

// now I assign the map I just created to the ViewContent of mapcontrol to display it

mapControl.ViewContent = MapControlContentFactory.Create(currentMap,initialExtent, MapViewingMode.Map);

await QueuedTask.Run(() =>
{
featureLayer = LayerFactory.Instance.CreateLayer<FeatureLayer>(featureLayerParams, currentMap);
});  // to add the layer to the created map that was added to the mapcontrol 

The next step was to create a tool to allow for selecting one or more polygons from the results layer:

I took the code from the above example:

class SelectAndZoom : MapTool
{
/// <summary>
/// Constructor
/// </summary>
public SelectAndZoom()
{
IsSketchTool = true;
SketchType = SketchGeometryType.Rectangle; // rectangle sketch tool
SketchOutputMode = SketchOutputMode.Screen;
}

/// <summary>
/// On sketch completion select the intersecting features and zoom
/// </summary>
/// <param name="geometry"></param>
/// <returns></returns>
protected override Task<bool> OnSketchCompleteAsync(Geometry geometry)
{
return QueuedTask.Run(() =>
{
//select features that intersect the sketch geometry
var selection = MapView.Active.SelectFeatures(geometry, SelectionCombinationMethod.New);

//zoom to selection
return MapView.Active.ZoomToAsync(selection, TimeSpan.FromSeconds(1.5), true);
});
}

However, the OnSketchCompleteAsync never executes, even if I just try to change this to be just a single point select by changing SketchType to Point and CompleteSketchOnMouseUp= true. I believe the problem is that it does not capture the map control's map view (which is defined in its own dialog box).  It appears that I need to have it attach to the mapcontrol's map or mapview, but I do see how to change it from MapView.Active to the mapControl.GetMap() or mapControl.GetMapView() or even to mapControl.GetMapView().ToMapView().   

I am stuck at this juncture, since all this does, including setting ActivateSelectAsync(true) in the constructor of the tool and cause the mapcontrol to pan and zoom.

0 Kudos
GKmieliauskas
Esri Regular Contributor

Take a look at Magnifier_MapTool how to bind your tool to mapcontrol

0 Kudos