Is it possible to use DDL API to convert feature class to shapefile?

Jump to solution
02-16-2022 06:03 AM
BarbaraSchneider2
Occasional Contributor II

I am looking for a faster way to convert a feature class to a shapefile than the Geoprocessing API. Is it possible by using the DDL API? I haven't found anything.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Aashis
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Unfortunately, the DDL API doesn't support feature class to shapefile conversion.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Aashis
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Unfortunately, the DDL API doesn't support feature class to shapefile conversion.

HannahBernal
New Contributor II

Hi Aashis,

I am running into a similar situation as the original poster. As of ArcGIS Pro 3.1 SDK, is it still not possible to convert feature classes to shapefiles without using the Geoprocessing API?

Thank you,

Hannah

0 Kudos
Aashis
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

No. You should use the GP tool.

The snippets and conceptual doc describe how to use GP in the Pro SDK for .Net, see if it helps.

0 Kudos
HannahBernal
New Contributor II

Thank you very much for the quick reply and for providing some examples.  I'll be sure to look into those. Thank you!

0 Kudos
FrancescoGiovinazzo
New Contributor III

Too bad that we cannot use GP Tools inside Core Host applications in C#

0 Kudos
DHuantes
New Contributor III

Just out of curiosity which GP Tool are you using now to do this conversion?

0 Kudos
BarbaraSchneider2

I am using the GP tool "conversion.FeatureClassToShapefile"

0 Kudos
DHuantes
New Contributor III

Thanks... Haven't needed to deal with Shapefiles in a while.   But I recall several years ago using GDAL in C++ code and recall it being at least an order of magnitude (if not more) faster in creating shapefiles.   Is your shapefile requirement for a legacy system that uses Shapefiles?  I only ask because we were entirely shapefile-centric until we made a conscious effort to get everything into feature classes within Geodatabases. 

BarbaraSchneider2

Thank you for your tip using GDAL. We also work with feature classes within file geodatabases. We convert the feature classes to shapefiles each time an ArcGIS Pro project is closed, just to have a backup. It happened in the past that file geodatabases got messed up.

0 Kudos