How to include a .exe file to the ArcGIS Pro .ESRIAddInX file?

Jump to solution
06-07-2021 12:29 AM
LakshmiAlaparthi
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am trying to include a .exe, file(console application) and .config file to the addin.EsriAddInX file using these options below but its not deploying the .exe and .config files. Can some one help me? 

BuildAction = Content,

Copy To Output Directory = Copy Always 

Thanks

Lakshmi

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
StephenRhea_NV5
Occasional Contributor

Hey Lakshmi, if you unzip your .EsriAddInX file (or open it with something like 7-Zip), do those files exist in the expected folder?

View solution in original post

StephenRhea_NV5
Occasional Contributor

No, after you compile it, you can change the extension to .zip and view its contents. There's an Install folder in the zip file that should contain the .exe and .config files, or the folders that contain them if you've nested them.

0 Kudos
Wolf
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

I attached a sample project that runs a console app.   This how you set the properties for the exe that has to be included in your esriaddinx file:

Wolf_0-1623087532983.png

The project is for ArcGIS Pro 2.8, but you can change that in the config.daml to an earlier version:

Wolf_2-1623087780224.png

9 Replies
StephenRhea_NV5
Occasional Contributor

Hey Lakshmi, if you unzip your .EsriAddInX file (or open it with something like 7-Zip), do those files exist in the expected folder?

LakshmiAlaparthi
New Contributor II

Hi Stephen, 

No. you mean after installing the .ESRIAddInX file? 

0 Kudos
StephenRhea_NV5
Occasional Contributor

No, after you compile it, you can change the extension to .zip and view its contents. There's an Install folder in the zip file that should contain the .exe and .config files, or the folders that contain them if you've nested them.

0 Kudos
LakshmiAlaparthi
New Contributor II

Thank you for responding.. I changed the extension to .zip and extracted and verified the 'install' folder. It did not pickup the consoleapp.exe and consoleapp.exe.config files. 

0 Kudos
Wolf
Esri Regular Contributor

Here is a document showing how to add content to an esriaddinx file and then accesses that custom content during runtime.  ProGuide Content and Image Resources · Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk Wiki (github.com) and a similar question was posted here:

Re: Adding Files to esriAddinX - Esri Community

0 Kudos
LakshmiAlaparthi
New Contributor II

Thank you for the reply.. What should I select for the build action and copy local options.. if the content type is and exe and the config file?

0 Kudos
Wolf
Esri Regular Contributor

I attached a sample project that runs a console app.   This how you set the properties for the exe that has to be included in your esriaddinx file:

Wolf_0-1623087532983.png

The project is for ArcGIS Pro 2.8, but you can change that in the config.daml to an earlier version:

Wolf_2-1623087780224.png

LakshmiAlaparthi
New Contributor II

Thank you! I was able to deploy the exe and and the .config file!

0 Kudos
JamalWest2
Occasional Contributor

I'm very new to creating the executable. Can you explain how something like your sample project can be used to run other functions utilizing the pro sdk dependencies. I have some functions I have created as an add-in, but I want to run outside of PRO using an exe. Is this possible?

0 Kudos