Downsides of using Shapefiles vs "regular" FeatureClass/FeatureLayer

Jump to solution
09-10-2020 02:19 AM
RehmSoftware
New Contributor III

Hey,

as I mentioned in an older post, I have quite some performance issues with ArcGIS Pro. Especially when I have to create like 800k polygons or something and put them on a layer it takes ages.

However, I found out that it is much much faster to create a Shapefile (with the DotSpatial library) that contains the polygons and then I can simply add the Shapefile to the project. Speedup is like factor 20.

Now, performance wise I actually have no choice going down this road but I wonder if there are any negative impacts that I don't know of yet? Are there any downsides of shapefiles vs using regular FeatureClasses/FeatureLayers that are stored in the ArcGIS project? Note that I rarely have to modify these objects individually.. instead all of the 800k polygons are nuked and created from scratch when changes are necessary.

Thanks in advance

Christian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This pretty well sums it up

Geoprocessing considerations for shapefile output—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

but if you are just creating them and not doing anything analysis/geoprocessing wise, then you will have to evaluate it in that light.  Be aware of the file size limit should your 800K polygon approach that limit

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This pretty well sums it up

Geoprocessing considerations for shapefile output—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

but if you are just creating them and not doing anything analysis/geoprocessing wise, then you will have to evaluate it in that light.  Be aware of the file size limit should your 800K polygon approach that limit

... sort of retired...
RehmSoftware
New Contributor III

Hi Dan,

you're right, that pretty much sums it up, thanks a lot. I think I can live with these limitations especially since my polygons are actually triangles so I think I can fit around 20 million triangles into the shapefile.

Again, I'd rather not use shapefiles but since creating so many objects is super slow for regular FeatureClasses/FeatureLayers in the ArcGIS Pro project, I've got no other apparent choice..

Best regards

Christian

0 Kudos