Disable Feature Cache through AddIn

12-21-2017 02:16 AM
BartVan_Hoecke
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I'm trying to access and edit a Feature Service in ArcGIS Pro. This is working, but I'd like to prevent the client of caching the Features. This is not working as expected. I've tried the following (even combined):

- Disabling the DisplayCache via the DisplayCacheType

- Disabling the FeatureCache via the FeatureCacheType

- Disabling the cache on ArcGIS Server (10.4). Based on topic  Implementing layer-level access control

The desired behavior is achieved when I manually disable the feature cache in ArcGIS Pro as described in Manage the Feature Cache. If I don't disable it that way, I see that no new REST calls are made to the service when I pan, zoom, refresh an area that was previously loaded.

Is it possible to force that behavior (Disable Feature Cache) through the API, for instance, when the FeatureLayer is added to the map.

Thanks,

Kinds regards,

Bart Van Hoecke

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RichRuh
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Bart,

We're taking a look at this now.  Could you please provide more information about why you want to disable the feature cache?  What workflows or functionality are you trying to enable?

We have no objection in principle to providing access for this, but if you are trying to work around a problem we want to be sure to fix the underlying issue instead.

Thanks,

--Rich

0 Kudos
BartVan_Hoecke
New Contributor II

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply.

We are in a situation where we have to run some dynamic calculation on the server to update some Feature fields. We centralized that logic via an Server Object Interceptor on ArcGIS Server.

So we would like to have the most recent state of that Feature back in the desktop (ArcGIS Pro).

Kind regards,

Bart

RichRuh
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Bart,

We have additional questions on what you are trying to do.

1. Does your feature service refer to an enterprise geodatabase that uses versioning?  If so, which kind- traditional or branch?

2. How are you making these edits?  Are you intercepting and adding to the payload to ApplyEdits()?  Or directly editing with ArcObjects?  Are you making these edits before, during, or after the edit operation from the client?

3. What version of ArcGIS Enterprise are you using?

If you'd rather not answer these questions in this public forum, please feel free to e-mail me directly at rruh@esri.com.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
RichRuh
Esri Regular Contributor

Bart Van Hoecke‌ and I have spoken offline.  We believe that the new returnServiceEditsOption available in the feature service at ArcGIS Pro 2.0/ArcGIS Server 10.6 will solve his problem.