Current Status of the Topology API?

Jump to solution
02-02-2022 10:04 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm just curious about the current status of the Topology API I have been reading a lot of different posts and things and it seems that it is not fully completed yet possibly? Right now I am trying to extend ArcGIS Pro using a Managed Configuration, in order to migrate from ArcMap 10.8.1 that we extended with ArcObjects to be able to use Pro as our main GIS solution. Currently I have a need to do a few things:

1.) Add a Topology to a map
2.) Automatically set the Topology based on which feature class is edited
3.) Validate the Topology in the current extent

Are these these things possible with the ArcGIS Pro SDK currently ? If not, are they in the pipeline for the future? If they are not available, is there a workaround possible? 

Even with all of the ProConcepts and Snippets, the transition from our old ArcObjects Extension to using the ArcGIS Pro SDK has been very challenging. Are we not meant to be able to extend pro in the same way as you could with ArcObjects in ArcMap?

Most of the documentation focus seems to be on Add-Ins (which seem more like individual tools) with very little focus on more advanced Managed Configurations. I have a large amount of data to manage with a lot of users editing data frequently. I need to be able to make more advanced customizations to ArcGIS Pro to ensure we are able to manage those data properly to our standards. A good portion of the simple configurations for pro can be handled with some of the out-of-the box settings, but not all. Please someone let me know if I am mistaken in thinking of the Managed Configuration as a way to fully extend and customize Pro?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Aashis
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User ,

The latest Topology SDK API provides the following functionality to geodatabase and feature service topologies:

• Open topology 
  • Build topology graph
  • Validate topology 
  • Topology graph traversal to access topology nodes and parents
  • Find the closest element within a specified search radius

This API currently doesn’t support map topology or topology-related DDL operations, such as creating a new topology, adding a new feature class to participate in the topology, or adding/removing a topology rule. However, you can use the geoprocessing tools for the DDL operations.

One possible workaround for the map topology is to create a geodatabase topology if the layer all exist in the same workspace and the same feature dataset. 

Additional details on Topology SDK API can be found in the conceptual doc and code snippets links below:

https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk/wiki/ProConcepts-Topology

https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk/wiki/ProSnippets-Topology

For editing, I am curious if you are using specific AO classes/interfaces whose equivalents are not available in the Pro SDK? Could you please provide us with additional details to better answer your question?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Aashis
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User ,

The latest Topology SDK API provides the following functionality to geodatabase and feature service topologies:

• Open topology 
  • Build topology graph
  • Validate topology 
  • Topology graph traversal to access topology nodes and parents
  • Find the closest element within a specified search radius

This API currently doesn’t support map topology or topology-related DDL operations, such as creating a new topology, adding a new feature class to participate in the topology, or adding/removing a topology rule. However, you can use the geoprocessing tools for the DDL operations.

One possible workaround for the map topology is to create a geodatabase topology if the layer all exist in the same workspace and the same feature dataset. 

Additional details on Topology SDK API can be found in the conceptual doc and code snippets links below:

https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk/wiki/ProConcepts-Topology

https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk/wiki/ProSnippets-Topology

For editing, I am curious if you are using specific AO classes/interfaces whose equivalents are not available in the Pro SDK? Could you please provide us with additional details to better answer your question?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks a lot for your response! I have been looking at our legacy ArcObjects code, I'm pretty new to working with this codebase and GIS development in general so I am still trying to figure a lot of things out on the fly. I think I understand how they were handling the topology in the past at least a little better now. I'm just going to have to read a little bit better to see how it translates into the new SDK. I did speak with my supervisor and they informed me that we do work with geodatabase topologies. We were adding them to the map in the old codebase but perhaps the current ArcGIS Pro Topology API will actually work for what we need. I will just need to do some more reading. Thanks for your response though it is helpful.

For any questions or comments, please tag Original Publisher -  @ChristopherZent ("Anonymous User")

0 Kudos
BerndtNording
New Contributor III

I have been able to do all the topology stuff in a Pro addin that I was able to do in an ArcMap addin, but that didn't include creating topologies. The Pro SDK doesn't let you create database things, you are expected to use Geoprocessing tools for all that. There are tools for Creating Topology, Adding Rules, Adding Featureclasses. There's also a snippet for running a geoprocessing tool from .net.  Not sure about adding them to a map, but I was able to find a topology layer in my map so there must be a way to create the topologylayer in the SDK as well.

BarbaraSchneider2
Occasional Contributor II

Are there any plans to support Topology DDL operations, i.e. creating a new topology, in the future? GP tools are so slow...

0 Kudos