Bug in Geoprocessing.ExecuteToolAsync("Append") when using field mapping / Shapefile

07-30-2021 06:19 AM
ole1986
New Contributor III

Problem

Mapped Field does not get filled with content from source Shapefile

Situation

I do have a shapefile containing the following columns

FIDShapeOID_Title

This Shapefile needs to be converted into an existing FeatureClass (with different columns) located inside the fgdb named "ExistingFeatureClass" containing the following columns

OBJECTIDShapeOID_Name

So the main goal is to convert and fill the "Name" field with its content from "Title" located in the Shapefile.

The below code ALWAYS result into "<Null>" for the "Name" column

var Environments = Geoprocessing.MakeEnvironmentArray(overwriteoutput: true);
var ToolPath = "Append";
var ShapefilePath = "D:\\PathToShapefile\\shapefile.shp";
var FieldMappings = "OID_ \"OID_\" true true false 4 Long 0 0,First,#,D:\\PathToShapefile\\shapefile.shp,OID_,-1,-1;Name \"Name\" true true false 254 Text 0 0,First,#,D:\\PathToShapefile\\shapefile.shp,Title,0,254";

var Parameters = Geoprocessing.MakeValueArray(ShapeFilePath, "ExistingFeatureClass", "NO_TEST", FieldMappings);
await Geoprocessing.ExecuteToolAsync(ToolPath, Parameters, Environments);

While running the code with indentical Parameters using the Dialog (see below) all fields are correctly mapped and only a "Run" is pending for the success

Result = await Geoprocessing.OpenToolDialogAsync(ToolPath, Parameters, Environments);

Any ideas on how to resolve this? Is this a BUG?

Product Information

ArcGIS Pro 2.8.1

using Esri.ArcGISPro.Extensions 2.8.0.29751

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Wolf
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

I used the following snippet with different schemas (I attached my sample ArcGIS Pro project file):

protected override async void OnClick()
{
  try
  {
	var environments = Geoprocessing.MakeEnvironmentArray(overwriteoutput: true);
	var toolPath = "management.Append";
	var shapefilePath = @"C:\Users\wolf2125\Documents\ArcGIS\Projects\GPTestAppendTool\ShapeFile\base_state.shp";
	var shapefileName = System.IO.Path.GetFileNameWithoutExtension(shapefilePath);
	var destintationTable = "BaseState";
	var fields = new string[] {
	  $@"AREA ""AREA"" true false false 8 Double 0 0,First,#,{shapefilePath},AREA,-1,-1",
	  $@"PERIMETER ""PERIMETER"" true false false 8 Double 0 0,First,#,{shapefilePath},PERIMETER,-1,-1",
	  $@"BASEMAP_ ""BASEMAP_"" true false false 8 Double 0 0,First,#,{shapefilePath},BASEMAP_,-1,-1",
	  $@"BASEMAP_ID ""BASEMAP_ID"" true false false 8 Double 0 0,First,#,{shapefilePath},BASEMAP_ID,-1,-1",
	  $@"Test ""TYPE"" true false false 10 Text 0 0,First,#,{shapefileName},TYPE,0,10" };
	var fieldMap = string.Join(";", fields);
	var Parameters = Geoprocessing.MakeValueArray(shapefileName, destintationTable, "NO_TEST", fieldMap, "", "");
	var gpResult = await Geoprocessing.ExecuteToolAsync(toolPath, Parameters, environments);
	Geoprocessing.ShowMessageBox(gpResult.Messages, "GP Messages", gpResult.IsFailed ? GPMessageBoxStyle.Error : GPMessageBoxStyle.Default);
  }
  catch (Exception ex)
  {
	MessageBox.Show($@"Error: {ex}");
  }
}

Actually I just noticed that I had changed the alias name for the "Test" column in the destination table from "Type" to "Test" but I forgot to make the change in the code snippet.  However, i seems that the alias name doesn't matter for this tool.

0 Kudos
ole1986
New Contributor III

And what exaclty is the difference (compared to mine?)

0 Kudos
Wolf
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

When I played around with my sample to find the difference I was not able to get the 'mapped' field populated anymore.  I passed the sample on to the GeoProcessing project engineer, i really can't see anything wrong with the code.  Also, I think the GP tool should report a warning or error if the 'mapped' field cannot be populated.  I will let you know if we find the cause of this issue.

Thanks for you patience and reporting this issue.

0 Kudos
gpnobbir
New Contributor

Could you please share your data (at least schema)? Or, you can try Wolf's way:

"AREA ""AREA"" true false false 8 Double 0 0,First,#,{shapefilePath},AREA,-1,-1"

Create a variable named shapefilePath and the path of your data to it. Then try and let us know. You can email me at nahmed@esri.com

0 Kudos
gpnobbir
New Contributor

Could you please share your data? We'd like to try with your data. 

0 Kudos