ArcMap addin migration to Pro

01-08-2019 01:04 PM
AlexZlotin1
New Contributor III

I am evaluating the feasibility of migrating an ArcMap addin to a Pro addin. Many tools in the existing addin include various raster analysis and processing functions. How complete is the current raster-specific API in the SDK comparing to the ArcObjects raster API? Specifically, I have these questions:

1. Is the functionality in ArcGIS.Core.Data.Raster equivalent to that in the ArcObjects Esri.ArcGIS.DataSourcesRaster library?

2. Is there functionality equivalent to the ArcObjects Esri.ArcGIS.SpatialAnalyst:IMapAlgebraOp? Should I be using the RasterCalculator_sa GP tool in the Pro SDK to perform map algebra calculations?

3. The ArcMap addin uses a few GP tools from the ArcObjects libraries like ESRI.ArcGIS.SpatialAnalystTools and ESRI.ArcGIS.DataManagementTools. I assume that the equivalent GP tools should be executed from the Pro SDK?

Are there any issues I should be aware of when migrating the raster tools to the Pro SDK? Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

There really is no "migration" of add-ins from Desktop to Pro.   It really is a completely different SDK, so no comparing apples to apples.   This was the first question I asked when I took the Pro SDK class, hoping it would be a simple change of a couple things in my add-ins.   Python is very similar in both, but the Pro SDK and ArcObjects are very different.  Just dive in and start from scratch, it is not too difficult to pick up the Pro SDK.  I had about a dozen add-ins to redo from Desktop to Pro and was able to find a way to replicate all them.  Good Luck!  

0 Kudos
Prashant_MukeshMangtani
Esri Contributor

Alex,

I am glad to hear you are going to be working with the Pro SDK. We have had quite a few people successfully migrate their ArcMap add-ins to Pro. To answer your question about the equivalency of the Pro and Arcobjects raster API's, the current Raster API in the Pro SDK is a very small subset of the ArcObjects Raster API.

1.) The Core.Data.Raster API is not equivalent but a very small subset of the DataSourcesRaster API. Please let me know if you find something missing. A lot of the time what you need can be accomplished in a different way. If not we usually prioritize what goes into the Pro Raster SDK based off users requests.

2.) Yes you will have to use the RasterCalculator_sa GP tool in the Pro SDK to perform map algebra calculations.

3.) Yes you can execute tools from Data Management and Spatial Analyst in the Pro SDK. I would also suggest checking out the ImageAnalyst tools if you have the Image Analyst extension.

The main thing to be aware of when migrating is that both SDK's are completely different and the functionality offered by the Pro SDK is still catching up in some areas. Working with the Pro SDK is not to difficult as Mathew commented (Thanks Mathew) so you should get up and running pretty quickly.

I hope the above helped answer your questions. If you have any more please let us know.

-Prashant

0 Kudos
FredericPoliart_EsriAU
Occasional Contributor II

ArcGIS Pro add-ins are very different from ArcMap add-ins.
For GUI interfaces, you will need to learn about the config.DAML file , containing the buttons and GUI elements.   You'll probably need a dock pane too (.xaml file). 
Also the interaction between GUI component and your code is a bit tricky with Binding Commands (some messaging system between your .daml or .xaml and  your C# code.  (do not simply double click on a button to get to the "onClick() method - that won't work).

#keywords: RelayCommand C# ICommand binding command xaml daml DynamicResource

0 Kudos