ArcGIS pro sdk proconfigx config project cannot modify custom module

08-20-2019 11:56 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Guys,

I have an issue modifying with updatemodule for my custom addin project from configuration project.

Scenario is that

I have custom Addin module project let say 

ModuleA with groupA,groupB and groupC

I try to update this module via config.daml from configuration project. 

<modules>

<updateModule refID="ModuleA">
<groups>
<deleteGroup refID="groupA"/>
</groups>
</updateModule>
</modules>

When I execute, groupA does not disappear.

So I tried with 

<updateModule refID="esri_mapping">
<groups>
<deleteGroup refID="esri_mapping_navigateGroup"/>
</groups>
</updateModule>

The navigation group disappear from map tab.

Is that a bug or anyway to manage?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
UmaHarano
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Than

At this time Configurations cannot be used to "extend" or "modify" other add-ins.

Thanks

Uma

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank Uma for reply,

I am currently trying to restrict the custom addin module/tabs/group/button usage based on the different login user.

I can capture the user and daml id at the moment.

Is on updatedatabase method the best place to manage for that kind of scenario?

ProConcepts Configurations · Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk Wiki · GitHub 

Best Regards,

Than

0 Kudos
Wolf
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Than,

You can use the 'updatedatabase' method to 'customize' the UI as we did in this sample here:  https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk-community-samples/tree/master/Framework/ConfigWithMap

This advantage here is that you can modify the daml programmatically, meaning you can add logic to handle you user's permissions.  However, depending on your use case this might not be sufficient because this only works if a user starts Pro using your configuration, if a user starts Pro without the configuration the user sees the 'standard' Pro UI.  If you want to modify your Pro UI for all start scenarios it would be best to define a 'control UI' add-in that takes care of all your UI customizations since add-ins are always loaded.  You can perform all your modifications in the config.daml of the control add-in just remember to add the <dependency> tag as shown here:  ProConcepts Advanced Topics · Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk Wiki · GitHub .  If you have certain user groups with different UI modifications you can define a 'control UI' add-in for each user group and make sure that each group only 'sees' (via Windows File Access Permissions) the add-in responsible for the respective Windows user group.   This also assumes that all your add-ins are published to one 'shared' network add-in folder in your Enterprise (see https://github.com/esri/arcgis-pro-sdk/wiki/ProConcepts-Advanced-Topics#add-in-loading-scheme ) so you can manage those permission from a central location.  

- Wolf

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Wolf,

Thank for your reply.

For my scenario, users are sharing the same desktop(ec2 image) via aws services.

For these two concepts, we have to create multiple addin and registered in multiple user machine or using windows acl permission on each addinx.

ProConcepts Advanced Topics · Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk Wiki · GitHub 

https://github.com/esri/arcgis-pro-sdk/wiki/ProConcepts-Advanced-Topics#add-in-loading-scheme

However, it will be problematic if administrator want to enable few feature back for another type of user, it seems we will have to recreate all those addin again.

I think, onupdatedatabase with configuration file shall be the best place already.

ProConcepts Configurations · Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk Wiki · GitHub 

0 Kudos