Zoom to Selected Feature within Layout Guides

Jump to solution
02-10-2021 11:42 AM
KieranClark
Occasional Contributor

I currently have a feature layer with 400+ items (lines drawn on a world map representing submarine telecommunications cables around the world) and I need to spit out a map for each individual line on an 8.5" x 11" page. The selected cable line itself and all the respective labeling also need to fit within specific margins on the page to account for things like title and status bars.

My current layout looks like this:

MapLayout.png

I need the selected element to be framed within the guide lines, but the map frame needs to take up the currently indicated space. The final map output (with the information added for the publication) looks like this:

AJCOutput.png

Eventually I would like to automate this entire process but for now I would like to speed up the map portion by setting a "Zoom to Selected" constraint within the layout guides. Is this possible?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
JustinJohnston
Occasional Contributor II

Glad it worked for you!  I think Tom has the solution to the splitting dateline issue already below.  Let me know if you need help again!

Cheers,

Justin Johnston

Big Pine Consultants LLC

www.bigpineconsultants.com

KieranClark
Occasional Contributor

Hi Justin, sorry to ping you again but I'm really stuck on the issue of cable systems traversing the Pacific. I had thought that manually framing the map for individual items in the Map Series would allow me to frame those specific systems the way I wanted, but they are still being output based of the automatic map series.

Is there a way to set custom extents for individual parts of a Map Series? You had also mentioned making some kind of calculation to determine extent and scale and put that value into a field. That might have to be the answer. I'm somewhat comfortable with Python if needed.

KieranClark
Occasional Contributor

Nevermind, I was able to make a custom coordinate system using my current projection and altering where the Prime Meridian is placed. Once that is applied, I can simply export the Pacific systems individually!

JustinJohnston
Occasional Contributor II

Sorry it took a bit to get back to see this!  Glad you figured out a plan to get it to the finish line!  It should not have required a custom projection, but if it worked, that is great!  I have never had to deal with things across the date line myself.  I would have wanted to confirm your projection and that the checkbox was checked, which it sounds like you already had done that.  After that, I probably would have redrawn the lines to not break at the date line to see if they come into the map series correctly.  After that I would have been out of ideas and would have started pinging ESRI directly.  

Cheers,

Justin

TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Justin.  My advice would have been the same. Thanks for helping out!

KieranClark
Occasional Contributor

Yeah, I think I will need to redraw all the lines that currently cross the Pacific. They do currently break at the date line. Now that the publication I was worried about is published and won't have a new version for another 3 months, I'll have the time to try to sort this out properly.

Thanks again for all your help!

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kieran, 

If you're new to Map Series I would suggest taking a look at the following help topic - Map Series

Thanks to Justin for providing very useful info on Map Series.  Hopefully this help you get to where you want to go.

Tom