XY Table to Point output shapefile features not showing past a certain zoom in Pro 2.5

Jump to solution
03-20-2020 04:44 PM
marjorie_jerez
New Contributor III

I'm curious if other people have experienced not seeing features past a certain zoom from a recently run, fresh out of the oven XY Table to Point output shapefile in Pro 2.5. I zoomed in closer to the map and did another XY TtP output shapefile and it didn't show at all until I zoomed out and it appeared at the same zoom as the original run. I then zoomed way out than the zoom I was at in the original run and it also disappears at the same zoom as the original run.

I then opened the three zoomed-impaired shapefiles in ArcMap 10.6.1 and the issue still persists. 

I came across the discussion Features disappear on zoom? and someone posted that exporting the shapefile into a new shapefile fixes the problem so I tried it and it did solved the issue  I also re-ran the XY Table to Point to have the output as a fgdb feature class output instead and there was no issues what-so-ever...

Sooo, does anyone know what exactly causes the features from these shapefiles not be seen past a certain point in the first place? It's been 10 years since the posting of the original thread under drastically different environments.

And yes... I checked that there was no visibility range, I cleared the display cache, and I restarted my laptop...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Marjorie Jerez‌ This issue has been resolved in Alpha snapshots of ArcGIS Pro 2.6.

The issue is due to loading new records into a shapefile and that shapefiles do not automatically recalculate a new spatial index/extent that includes those new features.

As a temporary workaround you should be able to run the Add Spatial Index (Data Management) tool against the shapefile to get the shapefile to draw correctly.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

It happened to me the other day after creating a shapefile from the same GP tool. As a workaround, make a copy of your shapefile then delete the .sbx and .sbn files (these are optional files and shapefiles load faster with them). It should work thereafter.  

marjorie_jerez
New Contributor III

Mervyn Lotter‌ Thanks! I had always assumed that you needed all those little files for a shapefile to properly work and today I learned something new about .sbx and .sbn being optional. 

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Marjorie Jerez‌ This issue has been resolved in Alpha snapshots of ArcGIS Pro 2.6.

The issue is due to loading new records into a shapefile and that shapefiles do not automatically recalculate a new spatial index/extent that includes those new features.

As a temporary workaround you should be able to run the Add Spatial Index (Data Management) tool against the shapefile to get the shapefile to draw correctly.

marjorie_jerez
New Contributor III

Drew Flater‌ Thanks for the info - I learned a new a tool today. Just for clarification, I was not loading new records into an existing shapefile when I encountered the issue. 

0 Kudos
WahkiakumGIS
New Contributor III

For me, the issue was being connected to a VPN. 

0 Kudos