Wrong number of records in attribute table view - selected exceeds number listed.

2179
9
08-04-2017 11:28 AM
deleted-user-9kusGTxrDeBl
New Contributor

I have encountered a situation where the wrong number of records is being displayed in the attribute table view, and when selecting all records, the number of selected exceeds the total number of records listed by ArcGIS Pro (see attached screen capture). 

I am running Pro 2.0 on a Windows 10 machine, and am pulling data from an AGOL feature service. 

The maximum number of records that can be pulled from the service should be the 2000 limit, not 200, as in my case. Not sure what would be causing this other than a bug. 

9 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Notable Contributor

Robert,

I wonder if it is an issue of needing to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the attribute table list to make it show more records (I can't remember if this functionality happens in Pro like it does in ArcMap). Can you try scrolling through the whole table and seeing if it shows the correct number of records?

Also maybe try closing all instances of Pro (and/or restarting PC) and opening it again (just to verify it isn't something else)?

deleted-user-yMSQSHvui0e5
New Contributor III

I've encountered the same issue with two different AGOL hosted datasets. In one case it listed double the amount of records in the attribute table. In another I did a select by feature, selecting only a couple values, and the whole table was selected.

frustrating

0 Kudos
FaroukRohoman
New Contributor II

Did you ever get an answer to this?  I have a similar issue with Arcmap.  I open the table of a feature class and it shows double the number of features.  Sorting on the ObjectId restores the correct number of features but when I reload the feature class the problem persists.

Farouk Rohoman

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Notable Contributor

It's probably related to the backbone of the database being used. Like others have mentioned, try sorting one of the fields, or just scrolling down to the bottom of the table, and this usually becomes resolved.

Bottom line, don't always trust the initial number you see for database records. Hopefully, typically when it lists an erroneous number, there will be an asterisk, like "2000*" or so.

0 Kudos
MarkBuie1
New Contributor III

I've experienced this behavior a couple of times when dealing with views. Once when I didn't realize the Unique Identifier I chose for the view actually contained duplicate ids. The other time I couldn't find a reason, but registering the view with the geodatabase solved the problem. 

0 Kudos
DouglasBaughman
New Contributor

I am having a similar issue. I have a point layer in a geodatabase. I have been editing the layer by adding more points. I looked at the attribute table yesterday and it shows I have 1,521 points; however, I added three points since then. It should read 1,524 points. Scrolling all the way down doesn't work, resorting the rows doesn't work, and clicking the [move to end of table] button doesn't work either. The points are in the map and I can select them and it shows the correct Object ID (1524 for the last one I did). Also, when I manually select it in the map I can go to the attribute table and it shows "1 out of 1,521 selected" and I click on [show selected records] and the point shows up there. I have tried to go into ArcCatalog and refresh all my folders and layers. That didn't work. I am at a loss. If anyone has a solution please email it to me at dugbfresh@hotmail.com. Thanks!! 

0 Kudos
DebbieGoeldner
New Contributor

We are also experiencing this problem with the query layer. The attribute table shows 16 records but there are actually 24. If I refresh the query all 24 show up. Scrolling down did not work and sorting didn't either. The view is registered with the geodatabase. If we do additonal filtering with a definition query, the results are accurate. But running the query as the source query layer requires the refresh every time to get the correct number of results in the attribute table.

0 Kudos
AliNazari
New Contributor II

I have the same issue after editing a line object feature class! If I scroll all the way down to the bottom of the table, it shows the data, but it doesn't count them as records! and if you export it, it doesn't export those records! Or merge or convert to feature class!! And there are some records missing from the middle of the table! 

0 Kudos
JoyceAgommuoh1
New Contributor

I am experiencing the very same thing now with version 2.7 - highly frustrating.

I select based on an attribute e.g. unique identifier (it will indicate a specific number of records in the run message), I make a layer with the selected features then export them to the default db. When they come back they are 8x the number of records shown by the returned message!

0 Kudos