Why is the draw time exceedingly slow when working with an XY dataset?

Jump to solution
10-17-2019 06:41 PM
MichaelMatson
New Contributor II

I am working with an XY .txt file of a table of 96 points (originally collected in GCS_WGS_1984).  They include lat/long columns, as well as several other data columns of various metadata for each point/row.  It was added to my blank map (Map is WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_10N) via "add XY data".  While it successfully showed up on the map at the expected scale, it was running ran extremely slow and draw times took 10-15 seconds every time I so much as clicked on the layer in the table of contents, or tried to move the map with the "pan" hand.  I then tried projecting it from GCS_1984 to the map's coordinate system (as stated above, 1984_UTM_10N) via the "project" tool and exported it to the geodatabase I created for this map.  This still has no alleviating effect and the draw times can still be abysmally slow.

The machine I am working on has no shortage of horsepower, but that shouldn't be a problem anyway for a map with only a single point data set associated with it.  Working on ArcMap 10.7.

What am I missing?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Quite simple, you had about 102,000 ish blank rows in the text file....

Try the attached

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Quite simple, you had about 102,000 ish blank rows in the text file....

Try the attached

0 Kudos
MichaelMatson
New Contributor II

I knew it would be something stupid and simple.  I blame excel.  Thanks so much!