Why is my map spinning? (ArcGIS Pro)

11-25-2019 12:54 PM
RebeccaTebeau
New Contributor II

I am new to the forum, so I apologize if I have missed similar entries, but from my search, I found nothing. I have a basic map with 2 point feature classes and 1 polygon feature class. I realized the shapefile for my polygon was incorrect, so I went to delete it (using the [Delete] button on my keyboard) from the "Contents" list, and now my map won't stop spinning. I don't mean the "loading" type of spinning, I literally mean the map is spinning in circles and I can't interact with anything unless I hit [Esc] which only results in the spinning map again as soon as I interact with anything in the program. Has anyone encountered this, and is there a reason why this is happening so that I can prevent/stop this going forward? I tried recording this, but for some reason, while running the screen capture program, it magically works.

11 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Welcome to the forum Rebecca. Sorry you are encountering this. It sounds similar to the spinning shown in the following video. Does the spinning look like this?:

A couple of other questions:

• What version of ArcGIS Pro?
  • Do you have Webroot installed?
  • If you save and close the project does it still spin upon reopening?
  • Is the Explore tool active and if so, could the A or D key be stuck somehow?

Best,

Aaron

RebeccaTebeau
New Contributor II

Hello Aaron,

Thank you for the kind welcome. Yes, this is exactly what I am seeing on my end. To answer your questions (in order):

• ArcGIS Pro v2.4.2
  • Yes, we use Webroot in our organization.
  • Yes, I have saved, closed, restarted the PC, and reopened the map to the issue persisting. It has been about a week since this issue arose. I just tried opening the map again and the problem is no longer happening.  
  • Explore tool was active when this initially started happening and no keys on my keyboard were responsive to the application except for the [Esc] key (coincidentally, out of frustration, I dragged my hand across the keyboard to see if a key was stuck).

If Webroot is most likely the culprit, I can disable it temporarily when these issues arise. It doesn't seem to be a regular issue, so temporarily disabling it while I work on maps with the error won't be a problem.

Thank you,

Rebecca

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Rebecca for the follow up. The probability is very high that it is due to Webroot. This was first reported in ArcMap and after a lengthy investigation the common element in virtually every case was Webroot was installed or other antivirus.

In a majority of the older forum threads there were some suggestions posted from folks reaching out to Webroot with the most obvious being disabling identity shield or comparable:

https://community.esri.com/message/773230?commentID=773230#comment-782673 

I found several such threads but one org could not disable Webroot and they found that adding a compatibility view in IE stopped the spinning: https://community.esri.com/thread/53112#comment-831695 

Best,

Aaron

RebeccaTebeau
New Contributor II

Thanks for the info. Next time this happens (I assume this will come up again at some point) I will come back here, test these methods, and let you know what works in my case. I appreciate the help, have a wonderful day!

Thank you,

Rebecca

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sounds good and you're welcome Rebecca. Have a great day as well!

0 Kudos
MikeGeorge__GISP
New Contributor

Any update on a fix for this spinning issue?  I'm having the exact same problem, renders using Pro impossible.  I'm unable to disable Webroot, which is our company anti-virus.  Any other suggestions would be extremely helpful!

TI
by
Occasional Contributor II

We are considering transitioning to ArcGIS Pro soon, but it didn't take long in my early testing to come across this horrendous bug.  It's a complete show-stopper.  It's simply not possible to use Pro when this happens.  Have to hard-kill it using the task manager (ESC doesn't help in my case).

Please fix this !

Toon
by
New Contributor II

Same problem here. New user.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had the spinning map and solved it my pressing the navigation short cuts  It also solved a previous error when the zoom was locked.  I also found if you accidentally press caps lock and left mouse rather than a shortcut key it starts the map spinning. 

CampbellSinclair_0-1637282991393.png

Tags (1)