Why does Windows think my toolboxes are folders?

Jump to solution
02-02-2021 09:17 PM
Strahanjen
Occasional Contributor II

I just installed ArcGIS Pro 2.7 onto a laptop running Windows 10 Enterprise. I'm wondering why the toolboxes are appearing as folders instead of ArcGIS toolbox files. See the attached screenshot.  I need to be able to copy a toolbox for a tutorial I'm working through. Any suggestions on how I can solve?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

@Strahanjen wrote:

I just installed ArcGIS Pro 2.7 onto a laptop running Windows 10 Enterprise. I'm wondering why the toolboxes are appearing as folders instead of ArcGIS toolbox files. See the attached screenshot.  I need to be able to copy a toolbox for a tutorial I'm working through. Any suggestions on how I can solve?

Esri objects like Toolboxes and File Geodatabases appear as folders in Windows Explorer. It is not an error, but by design.

That is why, managing these Esri objects (copy, rename, delete, etc.) should always be done within ArcGIS (Catalog), not with Windows Exporer. Please check Copy and Move Items.

Note:

• All system toolboxes are folder-based toolboxes.
  • If you want to copy a toolbox between folders and geodatabases, you will have to create a new toolbox in the destination location and copy tools from the source toolbox into the destination toolbox.

Think Location

View solution in original post

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This is the new format... they are folders, go inside one of them and you can use a text editor to examine their contents.  The scripts for many of the tools are in the Scripts folder within the same path a the Toolboxes folder

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

@Strahanjen wrote:

Esri objects like Toolboxes and File Geodatabases appear as folders in Windows Explorer. It is not an error, but by design.

That is why, managing these Esri objects (copy, rename, delete, etc.) should always be done within ArcGIS (Catalog), not with Windows Exporer. Please check Copy and Move Items.

Note:

• All system toolboxes are folder-based toolboxes.
  • If you want to copy a toolbox between folders and geodatabases, you will have to create a new toolbox in the destination location and copy tools from the source toolbox into the destination toolbox.

Think Location
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This is the new format... they are folders, go inside one of them and you can use a text editor to examine their contents.  The scripts for many of the tools are in the Scripts folder within the same path a the Toolboxes folder

... sort of retired...
Strahanjen
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Jayantha and Dan for the tips. I'm following this ESRI session from April 2020. In particular, I am struggling with the steps in the video from the 45 minute mark to 46:36. He gives instructions for copying the server toolbox so that we can make our own custom print service.  Is his method no longer possible? With your suggestions, I am close to being able to solve. I was able to move the Get Layout Templates Info script into a custom toolbox, but I'm not able to make a copy of the Export Web Map tool. If I use Catalog, the option to copy a toolbox is not enabled. Is this a permissions issue? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUHg7rgTRn4

PI-GIS
by
New Contributor II

Having the same problem. Did you find any solutions? @Strahanjen 

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Tagging @TanuHoque to better address the concern.

Think Location
LaurenWinkler
Occasional Contributor

@TanuHoque, I'm still having this same issue. Any updates on how to copy a toolbox in ArcGIS Pro 3.0?

Here's a screenshot for anyone else running into this issue.

Toolboxes Shown as Folders in ArcGIS Pro.png

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Apologies @JayantaPoddar as somehow the notification for your comment fell thru the cracks 😞

Thanks @LaurenWinkler for tagging me again.

That tech session was recorded awhile back and well before the enhancements went in one of Pro new releases.

I have a tbx hosted on agol. Please download it and you might use that as a base.  https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=2b7bd78267444a969dd086f8aaea29ad

I will check with gp team to see what they suggest with the new gp toolbox format.

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

One additional note. I have learned this trick from @DrewFlater. No need to download a zip file from AGOL and unzip and bring it in Pro... the entire workflow is integrated within Pro. Thanks Drew!!! That simplifies my life a lot 🙂

TanuHoque_1-1661409825634.png

0 Kudos