Select to view content in your preferred language

Why does split work on one part of this polygon but not another?

Jump to solution
02-28-2023 11:32 AM
ccowin_odfw
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Was merging taxlots and wanted to clip off the end of a road parcel but split is just not working on the road section of the polygon.

If I split as below I get the error "Split failed. Geometry must intersect polylines and polygons in two or more places." which is really frustrating because obviously it is intersecting in two or more places.

ccowin_odfw_0-1677612513733.png

But if I go through the entire polygon it works fine. So whats different about that section that is not allowing me to split it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Since the snapshot shows the selected polygon going off the screen in two directions, can't really tell if it reconnects elsewhere or not.

Could zoom to selected and re-snapshot so we can see what the polygon looks like.

R_

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Bec
by
New Contributor III

If you follow the polygon section that you are trying to split from the main polygon, does it reconnect to your polygon somewhere else?  If so, that would be most likely why your split failed.  In that case you will have to split the section in both areas and then it should work.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@ccowin_odfw I'm just curious, is the data being projected on the fly? is it in a GCS?

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

Since the snapshot shows the selected polygon going off the screen in two directions, can't really tell if it reconnects elsewhere or not.

Could zoom to selected and re-snapshot so we can see what the polygon looks like.

R_

0 Kudos
ccowin_odfw
Occasional Contributor

This was why, the bottom and left went off for miles and then looped around but was barely noticeable because it was so thin.

0 Kudos
VanessaSimps
Occasional Contributor III

I am getting a similar error.  I have tried snapping to vertex, not snapping to vertex, but still get the same error message, Split failed. Geometry must intersect polylines and polygons in two or more places.
Unable to obtain primary key value for origin object

VanessaSimps_0-1682290238563.png

would love feedback here as this is making it very difficult to edit efficiently. 

0 Kudos
ccowin_odfw
Occasional Contributor

Try exploding the feature first if it lets you and then do the split.

0 Kudos
VanessaSimps
Occasional Contributor III

Figured out it has to do with the relationship classes I have connected to this polygon layer. grrrr. Have to remove the relationships, edit, then rebuild them. annoying, but at least I know what to do now.  

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/split-failed-geometry-must-intersect-polylines-an...

0 Kudos