Why does ArcGIS Pro have to be so slow???

08-01-2017 11:31 AM
ericmeyers1
New Contributor III

Why is ArcGIS Pro so slow? To select assets, field calculate, display layers, change symbology... the easiest of tasks that are commonly utilized within ArcMap are a drag on the software.

When will ArcGIS Pro become faster than ArcMap? That will be the day it could replace it as the goto product for GIS professionals.

266 Replies
SeanHlousek
Occasional Contributor III

Zach,

This is similar to how I work but how do you handle Legends in Pro? The lack of default legend properties and the way properties are changed (lots of menus and clicking to get to the property I need to change) is really time consuming compared to ArcMap.

Also do you have Layout templates that you import your maps from Desktop into? Right now since you can’t lock layouts in Pro, if I want a new map and layout in Pro I literally have to copy a similar map, paste, and rename and then import that into a layout template (also copy and pasted). Its clunky compared to ArcMap but it could just be my workflow.

Just wondering how you are handling a new layout using an existing map. (I’m a one man shop and what I’m doing “feels” correct, but seems really awkward coming from ArcMap. At first I figured it was growing-pains learning the new system but I’ve been using Pro for 80%+ of my work now for 9 months and it still feels awkward).

I really appreciate seeing descriptions of how people handle their workflows – even the simple ones.

Thanks,

Sean

ZacharyBaron1
New Contributor III

I'm still feeling my way with this workflow--it sounds like you have more experience with Pro than I do.

I actually like the legends in Pro. After I figured out that I can make different layers visible or not in the legend by clicking in the TOC I am pretty happy with the legend.

What do you mean by 'locking' a layout? When I get to the layout stage and get the map zoomed and centered where I want it I always make a bookmark, usually named 'Print View'+scale. I do the same thing in Desktop. Then if I activate the layout for some reason and zoom/pan around I can always get back to my layout view.

I'm just figuring out how I want to deal with maps vs layouts in Pro, so I don't have a real good best practice for myself yet.

SeanHlousek
Occasional Contributor III

What I mean by locking a layout is making changes to a map and layout combination for a specific task without needing to created both a new map AND Layout when in ArcMap an .mxd drove both.

For example, I’ve got a map template built for a Size A Power point map (which is really common around here). I’ve also got a Size A Layout Template that goes along with the Size A Map Template. I use the Map Template as sort of a “starting Point” where I tailor the map how management wants and then marry it to the Layout Template. (This way all font and symbology sizing works for the size requested). After making the requested changes I export a .pdf or a .emf or a .jpg depending on the requirements of the end product. This work flow requires that each time I received a new request that I make a copy of the map template AND a copy to the layout Template. I must rename both to the name I want for the new map that is required, and thus my project grows by a new map and a new layout for every request I get. (Often I’ll need to revisit old maps to make revision up to years later).

In ArcMap, I also had a Template – an .mxd. I’d take that template and make one copy, adjust the Map view and layout to specs, export to .pdf, .emf, .jpg and All I’d have is another .mxd. Basically it’s one half the “bloat”.

Both workflows accomplish the task – but ArcMap felt more streamlined since it generated ½ the files.

Regarding Legends: I like the functionality that you describe (re-ordering and whatnot) but that’s where it ends for me.

In ArcMap because I just changed elements I needed in the maps and the Layout was locked to that map, I’d never have to re-create a Legend but in Pro because I want to maintain my map template, I need to copy the map, and I want to maintain my Layout template so I have to copy that.

This requires I build a new Legend each time versus having my Legend dynamically update.

When building a new Legend there are no options for a “legend template” so I have to change all legend settings every time I make a new Legend.

In ArcMap since all of my Legend settings were tied to the .mxd, I set the legend settings once and that was it.

Building a new legend in Pro without any template means that every time I do this I need to dig into the settings, set my border properties, background properties, border and background offsets, All Fonts, My Legend title, font-settings, and alignment. Further there is no way (that I’ve discovered) to universally set the font. I have to go into Legend>Title>Font Settings, Legend>Headings>Font Settings, Legend>Labels>Font Settings etc – for every legend setting. Most of the time the font is ALL Tahoma in the legend, but other times it’s all in another font and I can’t figure out why. I don’t necessary mind the UI for the Legends settings if I could set all of them once – for all further layouts, but there is no way to do this (that I have found).

Sorry for the long reply – hopefully that makes sense. So much of what people do in Arc products relies on the industry and the organization itself within an industry. I make all paper maps, but many industries are all digital. In some ways Arc is the Swiss-army of data/maps-representation-of-data. Its understandable that a new flagship programmed from the ground up may not accomplish the same task more efficiently in every possibly way. That said, it feels like ESRI didn’t research real-life work-flows as thoroughly as I’d have liked and threads like this one seem to be proof of that especially as more and more people work on switching over to PRO.

I do appreciate Kory Kramer and other folks efforts sorting through all of these complaints. I just wish PRO felt like the big step forward from ArcMap that we were led to believe. There are certain UI improvements that feel like they are really heading in the right direction (especially if the program was as snappy and quick as we all hoped). Unfortunately, as this thread points out, improvements to speed are lacking. Not just in the specifics mentioned here, but in a LOT of places.

I’ve noticed PRO acting slow when I copy elements in Catalog and Paste them like in my example above, When I change Labeling settings, even when I close a project (like why don’t we have an option for Close and Save the project – one button and done). I can open multiple layouts at the same time but each needs to open – which takes time – and then when I click on the tab – it has to draw which takes more time. I can’t export multiple layouts at the same time so when I make a series of maps that all need to be /pdf’s – I have to run through that export procedure for each map, wait for it to generate the .pdf, and then do the next one. I should be able to export X-number of layouts at the same time to the same format, and close my project while those are exporting. The project may run in the background till those exports are complete – but It should “release me back to Windows” without a wait.

This has turned into a rant but I know others in this thread will empathize.

That said – I reached out to you about specific work-flows because SOME headaches might be alleviated by sharing with one another how we accomplish even basic requests/Tasks using PRO – and anything we do for each other is something ESRI is at least partly off the hook for.

Thanks for sharing your workflow!

Sean

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
ThomasL
Occasional Contributor

I made this positive update to ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1 painful slow using Basic License  after ArcGIS Pro 2.3 was released.

The issue with the Basic-license underperforming vs. Standard-license might be of interest to some of you as well:

• After working with our national Esri Support, Esri has acknowledged that a Basic-license underperforms (vs. Standard-license) when working with multiple subtypes and domains in a FGDB.
  • ArcGIS Pro 2.3.0 has not resolved this, however Esri has agreed to provide temp-standard-licenses as a workaround enable us to meet our production requirements using ArcGIS Pro. This is customer support at its finest, I think.
  • ArcGIS Pro 2.3.0 has likely resolved the very slow opening of the Attribute table (above 10 seconds). We suspect the “ArcGISSettings.xml” in “C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\ESRI” to be the issue, likely a result of upgrading from a previous ArcGIS Pro version. We need more time to do a final verdict on this subject.
  • Slow ArcGIS Pro project opening and saving time is linked to the number of Layouts and Maps in the project on our systems. Deleting (primarily) Maps, reduce the opening and saving time dramatically. We a still testing what layers in the Maps are responsible for this.

All in all ArcGIS Pro is evolving into a stable and productive application for us.

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Thomas L schreef:

• Slow ArcGIS Pro project opening and saving time is linked to the number of Layouts and Maps in the project on our systems. Deleting (primarily) Maps, reduce the opening and saving time dramatically. We a still testing what layers in the Maps are responsible for this.

@Thomas L,

In my experience, slow opening and saving in Pro is directly, and linearly, related to the memory consumption of Pro. Pro in its current state, needs copious amounts of RAM / Virtual Memory compared to ArcMap.

I have some very complex topographic map style Map document with hundreds of Query Layers accessing a PostGIS database. ArcMap manages to handle these documents in its 2GB memory limit. Not Pro... The bigger the underlying database in terms of GB storage, the bigger Pro's memory consumption.

I have seen Pro consume up to 70GB(!) of memory (my laptop only has 32GB RAM, so rest is consumed as Windows "Virtual Memory" on disk). Such documents take up to 10 minutes to close, simply to release all the used (virtual) memory. I have actually monitored this process, by opening the Resource Monitor from the Performance TAB of the Windows Task Manager. Pro will not close until it has released all this virtual memory, and during this 10 minute waiting time, I slowly see the memory consumption of Pro decline in the Resource Monitor until the app finally closes when almost all memory has been released.

I therefor think this is not really a memory leak, but "by design"... probably combined with to conservative releasing of memory during application use, meaning Pro does not release its memory even if it could or should. I do think ESRI should have a closer look at this memory consumption issue of Pro. Having Pro consume anywhere from 5 to 30x more memory for what is essentially the same map document (I literally import ArcMap documents in Pro), is worrying to say the least.

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Marco, for this complex mapping project, have you experimented with putting some of your layers in a base map layer? This seems like an ideal use case for using that functionality. I wonder if it would help with your huge amount of memory consumption.

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

No doubt, especially if a raster basemap is created. Reducing 400+ vector layers connected to a PostGIS database to a single raster layer, will surely take the memory usage down to next to zero, but at the cost of a huge amount of processing time to create a raster tile cache.

And this is no solution for high quality vector output to e.g. PDF, which is my main interest at this point. And there is the added problem, that there seems to be no current option to retain the full complex symbology in a basemap. All options seem to drop at least part of the complex symbology and labeling options (e.g. vector tiles), or don't allow high dpi raster tile output so you sacrifice quality. Neither is particularly appealing to me at this point, especially also since my main interest is outputting PDFs as I already wrote.

ChrisGoessl
New Contributor III

Can this be moved to a bug, improvement, something..... This still had not gotten any better when utilizing an SDE. Especially when the basic functions are slow, selecting by attributes/location. Editing is fine and love it, but get the other functions corrected. 

I recently attend to version a data set, add global id, and Editor Tracking. It took me almost 10 minutes to get this accomplished using my desktop, connecting to our Sde on a 2016 server. This use to take, 1 maybe 2 minutes using arcmap .

Paul_Christensen
Occasional Contributor

Can't even try to traverse a line. Enter the Direction/Length and it takes a solid 20 seconds to update and display the change. I only have 127 more lines or ~42 minutes remaining for an operation I could do in 5 minutes in ArcMap. And that is just to enter the data. Don't forget trying to split polygons using those new lines, and then editing the attributes for each polygon. 2 hrs later for a single map correction.

Forget about making a mistake and having to undo, 3 minutes later the menus finally stop being grayed out...

Try to delete a line, menu grayed out.

Hit Enter to input another line, menu grayed out 20 seconds.

Everything is locked up right now and I haven't even done anything substantial.