Why does ArcGIS Pro disagree with the official spec on Field Name Length?

Jump to solution
12-01-2021 12:41 PM
alex_friant
Occasional Contributor II

In ArcGIS Pro, if you try to create a field name with a length of more than 32 characters (say by importing an existing Feature Class as a template) the tool gives a red box error indicator, and the hover text states:

• A field name cannot exceed 32 characters

alex_friant_1-1638390467411.png

That's great, except the official ArcGIS Pro specs on File Geodatabases says that a field name length can be up to 64 characters long:

• File name length - 64 characters

alex_friant_2-1638390542380.png

I can confirm that it's possible to have file geodatabase field names longer than 32 characters as I have a file geodatabase that has a feature class with a 36 character field name which was generated using the ArcGIS Python API from a spatially enabled dataframe:

alex_friant_3-1638390961060.png

My question is why is there a disagreement here between the actual specs and the software? Is this just an oversight? It seems like it is, otherwise the spec should say the limit is 32 characters. 

If it is an oversight, can we get the ArcGIS Pro team to include this in a future update patch?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I believe you're probably seeing this bug (BUG-000106643)  https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDEwNjY0Mw== 

The stated alternate solution is "Use the Add Field tool in ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap to create a field with a longer field name" which seems to match up with your observation that the database itself can handle the length, but the problem appears to be in the Fields View. 

Please go to the bug on the support site and use the Subscribe button to set up notifications as well as increment the count which is important to help teams prioritize.

Thank you

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I will flag @KoryKramer  for follow up in case it is a documentation or something the Pro team can address.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I believe you're probably seeing this bug (BUG-000106643)  https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDEwNjY0Mw== 

The stated alternate solution is "Use the Add Field tool in ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap to create a field with a longer field name" which seems to match up with your observation that the database itself can handle the length, but the problem appears to be in the Fields View. 

Please go to the bug on the support site and use the Subscribe button to set up notifications as well as increment the count which is important to help teams prioritize.

Thank you

alex_friant
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Kory. I'm observing this issue in the Create Feature Class tool, Page 2/6 which is where you create fields. So, not exactly the same as the "fields view" bug, but closely related.

I'll try the work around. Thanks again.