Which Spatial Analysis?

06-18-2019 12:56 PM
KatieGaut
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to answer the following question for a client and would love thoughts on which spatial analysis would best address the question at hand that utilizes the following data:

Data:

-  Point Data:  Potential Customers, with distances calculated to the pipeline (ie, 50.5 feet from the main)

-  Polyline Data:  Pipeline

Question:  We are interested in identifying clusters of potential customer points that equate to 225' or less of new main built per home.  For instance, if there are 50 homes clustered together and 5000' of pipeline would be needed to reach them all then (5000/50 = 100' pipe per home).

I have a basic ArcGIS Pro/Desktop License (no Spatial Analyst), but I do have ET Geowizards....  

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/license-levels.htm

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LaurenGriffin
Esri Contributor

You have points and polylines, so you probably won't need Spatial Analyst (which works with raster data).

There are a number of tools in ArcGIS Pro that measure clustering. Check out this video: https://www.google.com/search?ei=d10KXZjDO9jU-gTY34jIAw&q=Esri+Clustering+video+lauren+bennett&oq=Es...

Hopefully this helps,

Lauren

0 Kudos
KatieGaut
Occasional Contributor

Hi Lauren,

I'm not sure if that link came through correctly.  It didn't really lead to any specific video on clustering tools.  Also, since we are looking to not only look at the cluster of homes, but their proximity to the polyline layer, it seems like we may need a multi-tool approach.  Again, your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Katie

0 Kudos
LaurenGriffin
Esri Contributor

Sorry about that. You can go to www.esriurl.com/spatialstats Then look under Presentations. There is a tech workshop video called Essentials of Cluster Analysis. Since clustering will be part of your workflow, it might be good to understand the range  of tools designed to create or assess clusters. Most of these tools are core functionality and available with a Basic license. As you mention, you will also need proximity tools such as the NEAR tool. The NEAR tool  is also available with ArcGIS Pro, but it does require an Advanced license. If you need to base your analysis on a network, specifically, you may need the Network Analyst Extension. If you aren't working with raster data, you shouldn't need the Spatial Analyst extension. I hope this helps! Are you or your client going to the Esri User Conference in July? If so, please stop by the Spatial Analysis and Geoprocessing island in the Exhibit hall and we can brainstorm a workflow with you!

Best wishes,

Lauren

0 Kudos