Where's the option "create layer from selected Features"?

12-19-2014 07:35 AM
VitorAntão
New Contributor

Hi,

im using ArcGIS Pro and i dont find the option "create layer from selected Features"!! Can anybody help me?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

vitor,

Like you, many of us have similar questions on Pro:

Will Pro duplicate or re-produce same functions as desktop ArcGIS?

What is the development scope for Pro in the future?

What is the intention for ESRI to create another ArcGIS, which has no 'unique' geospatial capabilities or functions of new products than desktop ArcGIS 10.x ?

++++++++++++++

To me, in addition to applying latest IT technology to Pro,  Pro shouldn't just duplicate everything from desktop ArcGIS. In fact, more 'innovative' geospatial functions or algorithms are highly expected to meet the challenges from 'real-time' GIS and remote sensing applications, in operation.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Vitor,

I believe selection layers are not yet supported in Pro 1.0.

Larry,

The best way to answer your questions is to look at the FAQ here:

ArcGIS Pro Common Questions

Probably the most relevant excerpt:

"At its initial release, ArcGIS Pro will not have some of the functionality in ArcMap. However, it will have capabilities not available in ArcMap such as

• Project-based workflows
  • Combined 3D/2D visualization
  • 64-bit support
  • Multiple layout support"
0 Kudos
larryzhang

Thx, Jaremy,

From FAQ on Pro, 'ArcGIS Pro is a new application that’s part of ArcGIS 10.3 for Desktop' and 'ArcGIS Pro can run side by side with your existing ArcMap application', which are very good statements and will be kept in my mind.

What about the mid-term plan on Pro (in 5 years, even 10 years)?

For example, will it still come as an additional app with ArcGIS 10.4 or 10.5? Will it duplicate evenything from desktop ArcGIS and then replace desktop ArcGIS? How many 'new' geospatial capabilities can be expected in Pro 2 or 3?

Jean-PierreDEBOOS1
Esri Contributor

At UC2014 Jim Mckinney (ArcGIS program manager) said ArcGIS Pro move together with ArcGIS Desktop. But he didn't set a date of the last version of ArcGIS Desktop.

According to me in 10 years we will use only Pro, ArcGIS Desktop will be retired 😉

larryzhang

Thx, jean-pierre

Looking forward to hearing the mid & long-term plan and clear workscope on Pro sooner...

In fact, in addition to utilizing IT advances, most ESRI customers expect that Pro can offer/ implement some of 'innovative, even breakthrough' algorithms and data models to tackle the operational and technical challenges, rather than just duplicate whatever desktop ArcGIS 10.x already exist. For example, 3D Printing, Integration of 3D Plant & 3D Utility design models into 3D geospatial platform and G&G data models in geospatial applications

0 Kudos