What's going on with Pro Indexing?

308
3
04-11-2019 09:14 AM
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

In addition to https://community.esri.com/thread/206954-anyone-else-seeing-an-explosion-of-gdalsqlite-files-in-temp being back, I'm now seeing a massive number of thumbnails being generated by Pro Indexing. 227000 of them! !??!?!

Also note the discrepancy in Index Size.

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Indexing project items—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

The actual index folder for a particular project is much smaller than the index folder in your users path.  If you examine the thumbnails, you may see some overlap.  The way I read the documentation is that the users folder can contain the thumbnails from a number of references to objects, hence its larger size.  At least that is what I have found given my folder structuring for storing projects within a common directory

0 Kudos
MattWilkie1
Occasional Contributor II

For me with Pro 2.7 (albeit upgraded several times from something much older) the discrepancy ratio of reported index size to actual storage usage is 70MB to 48 GB, or to use a single common unit, 7:480!

MattWilkie1_0-1614724507371.png

Additionally, using the supplied button and deleting the Index does not remove the thumbnails.

Update: It took 47 minutes to delete the thumbnails manually:

@setlocal enabledelayedexpansion
@echo --- Started: !date! !time!
pushd %appdata%\..\Local\ESRI\Index
rd /s/q Thumbnail
popd
@echo --- Finished: !date! !time!

 

0 Kudos
WilliamBuerger
New Contributor III

I just ran into this issue myself.  Noticed I was low on disk space and found the ESRI\Index\Thumbnail folder to be a huge part  of that.  Took most of a day to delete the 11 MILLION+ thumbnails that were taking up 40GB+ of disk space.  But even after that was done, I had 70k new files in here.  Finally killed the ArcGISIndexingServer and was able to remove all files.  But then opened Pro and it started again.  I looked at a couple of the thumbnails and there were images from things not remotely related to the very few projects I have.  Would seem something in this system is trying to index from all over the place.  I disabled the index from the options and it doesn't seem to be doing it now.  But something in this system is seriously broken to cause a problem like this.