What is your take on ArcGIS Pro

03-09-2018 01:48 PM
ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

I have started using ArcGIS Pro for a project looking at Groundwater Vulnerability to Nitrate contamination.  I decided that this would be a good project to use to really become acquainted with Pro.  I am glad that I am using Pro, I am finding that it is truly much more responsive than using the desktop.  Actions that would take upwards of of half hour or more are only taking seconds.  I am been able to clip every statewide layer down to the county that I am modeling first.  I took me a little bit to get used to the interface, and Esri has been very accommodating to help me get off and running. 

There are some quirks with the interface that I would like to see changed or added in time, but all in all I am very impressed.  I am wondering what everyone else who is using Pro, what is your opinion of the product?  Please give me your true thoughts.

Good job with this products usability.

Chad 

Tags (2)
136 Replies
JohnBrockwell

Have you ever set up a geoprocessing task and expect it to run and it doesn't? Hitting Run and Apply (symbology changes) is a real nuisance for new users. I'm kinda shocked how slow adoption is.

ChadKopplin

Thank you John, the three biggest issues that I am running into are:  1. being able to click in or on a feature to select it, 2. edit the cell size when exporting a raster, and 3. when a process is running and I right click on a layer to look at the options, the option window is only about half there, once the process is finished the whole window shows.  Kory this response is for Esri as well thank you.

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin

I have not added them to the enhancements yet, because I am not sure if the capability all ready exists and is just a bug or if they truly are enhancements.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Are you on 2.1.2?

1. Are you talking about clicking in/on a polygon?  If not, please provide more details so that we can understand the issue.

2. Edit cell size when exporting a raster:

3. What kind of process?  Like running a geoprocessing tool?  When you say click on a layer to see options, do you mean to open the layer properties and the layer properties window is only half there, or the context menu itself is only half there?  Is it cut off?  If you could provide some specifics and a screenshot that would be great.  Check your system resources against the ArcGIS Pro 2.1 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop .  And make sure that your graphics card drivers are up to date.  Is the process you're running eating up much of your resources?  Does the menu hang happen with all processes or only certain processes?

Thanks!

ChadKopplin

Thank you Kory, on the selection, I did not know I had a brain lapse, this works fine.  On the raster export my export dialogue is defaulting to a smaller size, so all I see is the X and the Y, no box to change the value once I widened the dialogue everything is there.  It defaults to a smaller window, once I widen it and save it keeps the new settings, if I change to auto hide, I have to widen the window again and save then it keeps the settings for the auto hide.  Thank you this is good.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks for the details, Chad.  Good design/usability info that I've share with the UI team.

Cheers

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I've just been taking an online tutorial and I'm a bit underwhelmed.  Yeah, it's cool that you can link to maps together and get 3D aspects, but simple things like legends and scale bars are elusive. I have to spend more time with it before I give any real reviews.

That should just about do it....
JohnBrockwell

Legends and Scale bars are tough. You have to learn the up-down-left-right routines of Pro.

ChadKopplin

Thanks Joe, I have not gotten into the map layouts in ArcGIS Pro yet.  I anticipated a learning curve just like with the geoprocessing.  I look forward to hearing your reviews along the way, as well as helping each other with the elusiveness of some of the more common features.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Like any new software, we are all at different points of the learning curve.  Here is a link to my post regarding layout elements that Kory Kramer‌ answered for me;  ArcGIS Pro Layout Scale Bar 

It's just going to take some time to ramp up.  I survived ArcInfo to ArcView and ArcView to ArcMap, and fully embrace That Which Does Not Kill Me, Makes Me Stronger.....  

That should just about do it....