Select to view content in your preferred language

What is your take on ArcGIS Pro

03-09-2018 01:48 PM
ChadKopplin
Regular Contributor

I have started using ArcGIS Pro for a project looking at Groundwater Vulnerability to Nitrate contamination.  I decided that this would be a good project to use to really become acquainted with Pro.  I am glad that I am using Pro, I am finding that it is truly much more responsive than using the desktop.  Actions that would take upwards of of half hour or more are only taking seconds.  I am been able to clip every statewide layer down to the county that I am modeling first.  I took me a little bit to get used to the interface, and Esri has been very accommodating to help me get off and running. 

There are some quirks with the interface that I would like to see changed or added in time, but all in all I am very impressed.  I am wondering what everyone else who is using Pro, what is your opinion of the product?  Please give me your true thoughts.

Good job with this products usability.

Chad 

Tags (2)
136 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks, John. Yes, please do open a case with technical support for this.  In the meantime, could you email me one of your latest .dmp files from C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports - kkramer at esri dot com?  It crashes when displaying the space time cube?  

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I wanted to close the loop on this part of the discussion.  Thanks for submitting the crash dump to us, John.  For the sake of keeping the thread updated, after our application framework team analyzed the .dmp file it was determined that a third-party application was in fact causing the crash.  John confirmed that removing the third-party application resolved the issue and will report the issue to the vendor. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin
Regular Contributor

Thank you John for the information about the size of data that you are working with, I am currently working off of a much smaller size dataset.  My largest dataset for my model was a slope raster (30m cell size resampled to a 90m cell size) for my county of interest.  Just checking and over half of my CPU can be used just to zoom in/out of my project.

DavidFotheringham1
Occasional Contributor

I've been working with Pro as and when I can. Generally I've been happy with things. Now that I have some layout templates in place life is a lot easier. One major issue is creating a legend easily. As mentioned previously a lot of the options are hidden away. Partly this is just something to learn but partly it seems to have gotten harder.

The main issue I have with the legend is that when trying to enlarge the legend area I can only expand diagonally. Most of the time I have plenty of space to the right but no more space below but reshaping the box forces expansion across and down. Hopefully there is a simple fix? Maybe it is because I'm bringing in xmd templates to begin with? Any advice would be welcomed

David

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

David.  Screenshots/more details explanation might be helpful here.  Also, posting your specific question to the ArcGIS Pro‌ space could also help.

From what you've described 

The main issue I have with the legend is that when trying to enlarge the legend area I can only expand diagonally. Most of the time I have plenty of space to the right but no more space below but reshaping the box forces expansion across and down. 

I don't see that.  I threw a bunch of data into a map and then a quick layout.  Here, I have plenty of space to the right but no more space below:

I can grab the right-middle handle and drag it to the right and my legend adjusts accordingly:

Here is where you should check first in the legend properties:

0 Kudos
DavidFotheringham1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kory.

Thanks for the reply. Following your help I have now gotten this to work. Initially it didn't but... if I changed the fitting strategy to something else then back to 'adjust columns and font size' I was able to move the x and y dimensions independently.

As I mentioned, perhaps this is a bug as the original template was loaded from an mxd then saved as a layout? 

I also tested and a brand new legend works correctly so no issues there!

Thanks for helping me as this was a genuine frustration I was having with Pro!

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

That's great - I'm glad that worked for you!  Are you able to share the mxd with me so that I can look?  Does this happen with any other mxds that are imported?  You can send me the mxd at kkramer@esri.com - it might not even be necessary to package it up as a map package as I might be able to test just the mxd... Let me know.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I wanted to close the loop on this.  The layout in the MXD had Preserve Aspect Ratio checked.

ArcGIS Pro respects the settings from the MXD so we see in the Pro legend that the ratio is locked.  Instead of changing the fitting strategy to something else and then changing it back (which WILL unlock the aspect ratio), you can just go into the placement properties and unlock it.

ChadKopplin
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the legend reply's Kory, this is helpful when I start moving into using Pro for map production.  

0 Kudos
ToscaHoffmann
Esri Contributor

Hi Chad!  I will email you the most current version of the ArcGIS Pro Training Guide for the latest ArcGIS learning resources.  Feel free to contact me with any questions.  Best! Tosca

0 Kudos