Select to view content in your preferred language

What is your take on ArcGIS Pro

03-09-2018 01:48 PM
ChadKopplin
Regular Contributor

I have started using ArcGIS Pro for a project looking at Groundwater Vulnerability to Nitrate contamination.  I decided that this would be a good project to use to really become acquainted with Pro.  I am glad that I am using Pro, I am finding that it is truly much more responsive than using the desktop.  Actions that would take upwards of of half hour or more are only taking seconds.  I am been able to clip every statewide layer down to the county that I am modeling first.  I took me a little bit to get used to the interface, and Esri has been very accommodating to help me get off and running. 

There are some quirks with the interface that I would like to see changed or added in time, but all in all I am very impressed.  I am wondering what everyone else who is using Pro, what is your opinion of the product?  Please give me your true thoughts.

Good job with this products usability.

Chad 

Tags (2)
136 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

"some" of what you list above should be hitting the street in 2.2 (summer), however, I'm with you on the not being able to export to AI format (apparently there's some issues with the Adobe API that's blocking that), the x,y thing with the ID tool, the labeling thing. 

Just to add a bright ray of sunshine to this thread.....Offline editing in Pro is way better than the Arc Workflow, and way faster too! 

ChadKopplin
Regular Contributor

Thank you Thomas, thank you for the mention of the offline editing.

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

More sunshine! After using templates for a while, I have to grudgingly admit that I prefer working with templates in Pro versus folder, DB, and Server connections in Arc. In Arc, it's "every user on their own" for making those connections, unless I spool up some hokey scripts and try to explain to folks what %appdata% is. In Pro, I can make a template that is workgroup-specific that has all the connections needed for that workgroups tasks, slam it up to Portal, and with a simple instruction, have folks start new projects with the connections they need, regardless of what computer they're on (another thing you can't do in Arc). 

0 Kudos
ChadKopplin
Regular Contributor

Thank you Steve for your list, this is why I started this thread, for the good and the bad, a place where they both can be mentioned.  Items are able to be made better when the bad is discussed.  

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I agree with Thomas Colson‌ on this list - there are a number of these that we'll actually see in Pro 2.2 and actually a couple that are already in Pro 2.1.

As pointed out to Dan above, the right-click summary statistics is in 2.1 and IMHO way cooler in Pro than ArcMap.  Copy Coordinates is in Pro 2.1 - not exactly like the Identify experience in ArcMap - that workflow continues to be improved by the development team.

Most other things on your list are on our list, so that is good.  If you want to have any of these things be actionable/trackable, rather than just a list of things in a thread on GeoNet, it would be good to get linked up to existing ideas on https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas?sr=search&searchId=647ba36c-545b-4f08-8ea8-357dcb3...‌ or specifically log issues with technical support so that you are attached to them for updates.

Cheers

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

So, not surprisingly, there are no references to this functionality in the online Help for ArcGIS Pro (it's only listed in the What's New documentation). What coordinates does it return- the native coordinates of the current data/projection or can you specify what coordinate system you want? For example, our data is in a State Plane coordinate system but I frequently need to get the lat/long of a location because that is what's required when communicating our needs with other agencies. In my situation, if the data frame coordinate system is a state plane, do I just get state plane coordinates using this tool or can I specify decimal degrees or degrees minutes seconds as the desired coordinates?

This is default behavior in Arcmap, BTW.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Steve, it takes the map's units.  This is something that is on the team's radar and we'll see increased functionality in coming releases.  Here is a sneak peak at what we might see in 2.2:

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. Looks like I'll stick with Arcmap.

For your preview image, why would you add a second line in the context menu? Make that a side menu off of "Copy Coordinates" option and make the default units the same as the map units.

0 Kudos
CathyWilson2
Occasional Contributor

I tried out Pro when it first came out. It took me forever to do a simple project because I had to continually stop and look up how to do things. "To the web!" I also had ArcGIS Map open at the same time to do the things that Pro couldn't do yet. But it's much, much better now. Most of the functionality that I found missing is there now. It took me a long time of looking at menus trying to figure out how to Identify something, as someone mentioned above. I looked it up on the web and found out that there was no "i" button, you just click the feature!

I still have to look things up. I did a layout in Pro for the first time this week. Had to look up a lot of things. Some of the settings are in the right-hand pop-up window, some are in the ribbon bar above, like trying to tweak a Legend. The drawback of the context sensitive ribbon bar is that I knew I saw a button for something yesterday, but then I didn't know where it was. I wasn't in the correct menu or mode. But that's all just learning curve.

I'm getting much better and learn new things every time I use it. But before I can use it exclusively, I will need to teach all of my biologists who use Arc to use it.

The feature I like the best so far is adding an X/Y point. I had coordinates and just wanted to see where it was. In Map, if the coordinate systems of the point and the map didn't match exactly, my point usually ended up in the south Pacific. But in Pro, it gives me a list of possible points and I just pick the correct one!

Keep up the good work, Esri!

ChadKopplin
Regular Contributor

Thank you Cathy, I have run into many of issues that you mentioned as well, it is a learning curve, and like you said, I find myself asking the question, "Now where was that tool?" 

0 Kudos