Select to view content in your preferred language

Weird stuff in task manager related to an instance of Pro

Jump to solution
Wednesday
Labels (1)
clt_cabq
Occasional Contributor III

Was looking at task manager to see what was happening when an arc pro aprx keeps freezing up. I'm curious why there are several instances of "Microsoft edge WebView2" processes shown as running under the Pro application? I don't have Edge running, though Pro annoyingly opens an edge window when i click a help button. Any thoughts?

clt_cabq_0-1719413209877.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

The WebView2 threads are unlikely to be related to the freezes, the first thing I'd check there is where your data is located and whether you have any resources in e.g. cloud drives or other non-local places, it could also be related to the size of the project if it contains significant resources. You might also try using the Diagnostic Monitor which provides information about which parts of Pro are active and should help isolate down the cause of the freeze.

WebView2 is a component to allow HTML rendering within Pro, and is used by any parts of the system which need to create rendered output like popups. It is resource efficient, which you can see in part by the limited memory footprint of each of those processes. There are some details in this Microsoft WebView2 FAQ that may be helpful.

Cheers, Shaun

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

The WebView2 threads are unlikely to be related to the freezes, the first thing I'd check there is where your data is located and whether you have any resources in e.g. cloud drives or other non-local places, it could also be related to the size of the project if it contains significant resources. You might also try using the Diagnostic Monitor which provides information about which parts of Pro are active and should help isolate down the cause of the freeze.

WebView2 is a component to allow HTML rendering within Pro, and is used by any parts of the system which need to create rendered output like popups. It is resource efficient, which you can see in part by the limited memory footprint of each of those processes. There are some details in this Microsoft WebView2 FAQ that may be helpful.

Cheers, Shaun

clt_cabq
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks @ShaunWalbridge , this helps. I'm pretty sure the size of the aprx is the main culprit though I'm some of the resources I am hitting are sql server databases in-network, and I'm not always sure the network is performing at peak capacity. I'd never seen the webview2 processes before so that surprised, appreciate you explaining where those get used. 

0 Kudos