Vector Tile Package with Vector Basemap for Survey123

10-29-2020 06:03 PM
GarrettSmith1
New Contributor III

Hello

I am trying to create a vector tile package that I can use for offline use for a survey that I am working on in Survey123. The map contains a polygon and around 1,000 points. In ArcGIS Pro I have these shapefiles overlaid on a vector basemap from the ArcGIS Living Atlas portal. 

When I run the Create Vector Tile Package tool I continuously get this error:

ERROR 001852: Layer type is not supported for vector tile packages.

I have tried five different vector basemaps, including vector tile layers, and all return this message.

If I remove the basemap, I can successfully run the tool and create a .vtpk. However, I need to have a basemap so that users of the survey will have some sort of spatial reference to where they are at.

I have been searching high and low for a definitive answer to the issue that I am having with trying to export a Vector Tile Package with one of the "vector" basemaps from the ESRI portal and cannot find anything. A lot of the ESRI help and/or examples are pretty vague about the usage of basemaps.

I have tried to use the online map packaging, however using that method gives me the opposite problem in that I cannot have the feature layers and only the basemap.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I have been running this tool all day to no avail.

1 Reply
BKS
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi Garrett,

I have a similar situation using ArcGIS Survey123.  From what I've been reading I still am not clear if it's possible to take a specific area of ESRI's vector tile basemap for offline use.  When I tried to create a mobile map package of a map that included my vector business layers as a vptk and an esri vector tile basemap, it said I could not use the latter for offline use.  I need to check "references online services".  So this was not useful to me.  If I try to create a (raster) tile package for the basemap, they're way too big to download.  I need something the size of a Canadian province (or US state).  For about 1/3 of the province it's about 150MB. 

Did you make any progress with your situation?

bks

0 Kudos