Validate Join message has incorrect information (join to table with definition query)

12-11-2022 10:31 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Esteemed Contributor

I'm in the process of creating a join from a FC to a table that has a definition query (the table has 12 rows, but the definition query pares it down to 3 rows).

Bud_0-1670783039829.png

When I hit the Validate Join button, I get these results in the Message window:

Checking for join cardinality (1:1 or 1:m joins)...
A one - to - many join has created 12 records from 3 matches.
The input table has 3 and the join table has 3 records.

I don't think that information is correct. The join is 1:1 and it will result in 3 records in the source FC (same as before the join). But the Validate Join message says differently.

Is that a known issue?

Thanks.

ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3; mobile geodatabase.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Add Join (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

The definition query of the join table will be applied to the input layer or table view. The definition query can be removed using the Remove Join tool or by manually removing the definition query from the layer.

does that mean that the definition query is applied before hand? or Add Join doesn't like definition queries at all

Any selections on the layer are not used in the Add Join tool but are used in the Join Field tool.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
Bud
by
Esteemed Contributor

Esri Canada Case 03262451 - Validate Join message has incorrect information (join to table with definition query)

BUG-000156405  - Validate Join message is incorrect in ArcGIS Pro when Add Join to table or feature with Definition Query within the same workspace

0 Kudos
VanessaPocock
Occasional Contributor

Curious if there is an update on this BUG? 

I am working on a large project that relies heavily on the Add Join function honouring the definition queries set on both the input and the join tables. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

in review...

BUG-000156405 for ArcGIS Pro (esri.com)

You can subscribe to it for notifications

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
VanessaPocock
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan, I couldn't find this page for some reason

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Esteemed Contributor

Related:

BUG-000158141 - The cardinality of a join is incorrect in the layer's properties for one to one joins in ArcGIS Pro 3.1.

Additional Information: Will doc this better and see if there is something I can do with the MapAuthoring team. All the joins in Pro are have Cardinallity 1 to many, so saying so does not give value to users. Our messages in validate join are correct.

One-to-one join is shown as one-to-many

0 Kudos