Select to view content in your preferred language

Using ArcGIS Pro Outside the Intranet

04-19-2023 10:52 AM
RogerDunnGIS
Occasional Contributor II

We are using ArcGIS Portal 10.9.1 to handle software licensing for ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5.  I am the GIS Administrator and was the one who set up the Enterprise licensing .json file and all.  Anyone on our intranet that is authorized to use Pro can do so when they're hard-wired to the intranet.  However, these same users cannot log in to Pro when roaming for events like conferences and consulting, etc.  We get the error:

"ArcGIS Pro failed to connect to the License Manager for your Licensing Portal.

"Please contact your organization's License Administrator to ensure that your ArcGIS License Manager is running and accessible."

Well, I'm the License Administrator and don't know what I did wrong.  The server where the License Manager is running is behind our firewall while Portal is exposed to the Internet.  I presumed that since the machine where Portal is installed could see the server where License Manager is installed, that we'd be good.  Portal should authenticate and authorize users.  But am I to understand that machines running ArcGIS Pro also need to be able to see the License Manager server?  Do I need to expose that server to the Internet?

10 Replies
Than_HtetAung
New Contributor III

Hi 

This is late comment, I just login and noticed it again.

We have checked the detail communication, ArcGIS pro desktop machine and license server indeed perform the communication for licensing check. So licensing is not only check with Portal for ArcGIS, but also check with license server from Pro desktop machine, very interesting and it required to expose the license server to the desktop to be discoverable. Will say it is bad design.