Use custom basemap by default for all ArcGIS Pro projects

04-30-2021 08:54 AM
MarkVolz
Occasional Contributor III

I would like to use a custom basemap by default for all of my ArcGIS Pro projects for myself and others in my organization.  Thus far the only documentation I found is either for AGOL basemaps or how to export a custom basemap as a .mapx file and manually load it into every ArcGIS project.

Ideally I would like to do the following

1) Create a custom basemap in ArcGIS Pro which references a non AGOL / Portal dataset.  I can already do this step.

2) Have the basemap turned on by default for every new ArcGIS Pro project.

3) Reorder the basemap gallery so that it appears before the built in ESRI basemaps.  Once again this will be for  every project, not just the current project.

This would save a few more steps than telling people to start a project, load the mapx file, go back to the map, and change the basemap which happens to be located at the bottom of the basemap list.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

custom.png

Did you try this????

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
RichardDaniels

Nice, but an organization would want to modify the install package so this was set automatically. One can't assume 2 or more users are going to do anything the same way (or follow directions). Any idea if these settings get saved in the registry?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The default setting is to take whatever the active Portal's default basemap is. Is it an option to just change to org default basemap?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
RichardDaniels

probably, but then we would have to have all our users login to their organizational account in ArcGIS Pro and ensure all +500 staff actually have a account.  Since we only have 150 AGOL accounts that is a problem 🙂

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ah, that is tricky. I'd dig into the registry, then, but I'm a little out of my depth on that point. Not sure how else to approach the problem.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
RichardDaniels

It was fairly easy in ArcGIS Pro 2.4.x and prior because if you place a map template at C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ProjectTemplates it was shown in the list of default templates on ArcGIS Pro startup (project selection screen).

With ArcGIS Pro 2.6 they took this capability away 😞

0 Kudos