Updating attribute information for feature classes

02-14-2022 10:15 AM
DWass
by
New Contributor II

I have been tasked with updating feature class attribute information for Utility Network in ArcGIS Pro 2.9.1. This is a large dataset, there will be approximately 300 rows in a spreadsheet to update in the existing table of over 2000 features. Some data fields will need updates but others will be left as is. I will need to do a combination of adding new rows, updating data in existing rows, and deleting some as well. This process will need to be repeated for other asset types.

I was going over what options are available and found that ArcMap has a tool called Copy Linked Record in Attribute Assistant which seems well suited for updating attribute information.  Does ArcGIS Pro have a similar tool that I can use or will I have to script an attribute rule (or rules) in Arcade?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DirtDogRoj
New Contributor III

This workflow leaves many questions unanswered.  How would you know which fields will be updated and which ones left as-is?  Hopefully this decision is not a row-by-row decision.  But looking at your issue, the workflow I would choose is to convert the spreadsheet to a table, usually by using CSV as the interim format.  Then I'd join by Unique ID and, in the join, I would exclude records that didn't join up.  Then I would use Field Calculator to copy values from the table to the feature class.  Then I'd remove the join.  I would then join the table to the feature class and opt to keep all records.  A Select by Attributes would help me find records in the table that aren't in the feature class (where featureclass.uid is null).  Those are the ones I'd have to add to the feature class.

Now, this is all fine and dandy for a feature class, but you specifically mentioned utility network.  One would have to know more about how this figures into your 300-record spreadsheet. 

RobBurke
New Contributor III

Also an add on question.  Will you be editing the Utility Network feature services using Branch Versioning?

Robert Burke
DWass
by
New Contributor II

I will not be using branch versioning for this task but it will be used for some future editing.

0 Kudos
DWass
by
New Contributor II

Thanks for the response! I will determine which fields need to be updated and left as-is when I get to analyzing and cleaning the data, most likely by comparing the updated table with the existing feature class. Right now I am going over the steps to complete this task.

0 Kudos
RobBurke
New Contributor III

With all the decision making needing to be done, it seem like a great place for a Python script and using an UpdateCursor.  Is it in a File or Enterprise geodatabase?

Robert Burke
0 Kudos
DWass
by
New Contributor II

It is an enterprise geodatabase.

0 Kudos