Update Web Map on ArcGIS Online from ArcGIS Pro

02-13-2018 09:22 AM
ModernElectric
Occasional Contributor III

Good Morning...

Please bare with me here since I am fairly new to using ArcGIS Pro, but have years of experience with ArcGIS Desktop. We recently implemented our ArcGIS Online account for use for our field crew(s). I usually update the feature layer(s) for ArcGIS Online from ArcMap. I have recently started experimenting with ArcGIS Pro, since I understand it is much easier to coordinate the maps/data between ArcGIS and ArcGIS Online. I have successfully created a web map with all of the GIS Layers, tables and attachments. However, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to update the web map. The only way I can do it is by going to ArcGIS Online, delete the existing Web map and then re-publish it again from ArcGIS Pro. However, this is not a time saver.

What I want to be able to do is if I do any data updates in ArcGIS Pro, then I can sync and/or update the current Web Map in ArcGIS Online without having to delete and create over and over. Is there a way I can accomplish this????

Thank You

10 Replies
ShadyAbushaara
New Contributor II

It a good question ,which i made search about it and there is no answer still you need to publish new map every time you make update by ArcGISpro ,sorry

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

See Anna San's recent post on the same topic and Kory Kramer's reply. Vote for ArcGIS Pro - Update existing web map.

JoeBryant1

Seriously??!!! I figured I just wasn't finding the function in Pro. This is one of the main reasons we were sold on switching to Pro: it was supposed to be easier to manage our web services. Arrrrggggg.....

David
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Open a web map in ArcGIS Pro. You can update the geometries and attributes of the data in a web map from ArcGIS Pro. After you publish the web map, go to the Catalog pane on the right and click on Portal. Browse to My Content and find your newly published web map. Now, right click on the web map and choose Add and Open. When it loads, you will interacting with the live web map. You can move features and edit attributes without having to republish the entire web map. 

If you want to change the symbology for a layer in a web map, you need to do that in ArcGIS Online or make the change in ArcGIS Pro and overwrite the old layer (not the entire web map). 

ArcGIS Pro Tips: Get your maps in sync

David
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Actually, it looks like as of ArcGIS Pro 2.6 you can edit a web map's symbology, pop-ups and labels from ArcGIS Pro. Read about it here and watch this clip to see it in action. 

JoeBryant1

Thanks for the update, Dan. I will test this after I've upgraded to 2.6. The link you provided is very helpful, particularly the considerations when converting an AGOL web map to a Pro map and then back.

JoeBryant1

I've now upgraded to 2.6 and can confirm this works. It's a real time saver!

You do have to check any domain lists and editing templates you have in the map; these did not get updated for me. And, yes, I did republish the web layer first after making a schema change.

DaliborBursik
New Contributor

Hi!

Can I change the basemap in my published webmap? Originl basemap is now wrong and I dont want make new webmap, because it has 39 layers.

Than You for Yours tips.

Dalibor

mody_buchbinder

It is an old post and we can save web map in Pro.

I wonder if there is any way to do it in Python from within Pro?

Thanks

Mody