Update Search Cursor to calculate slope of a line using z-geometry

08-16-2021 01:20 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

I am attempting to use update search cursor to calculate the slope of a line. I am using SHAPE@Z to get the elevation of a point along a line. I am trying to get specific point information using queryPointAndDistance OR positionAlongLine, but I don't know which to use.

For my purposes I need the first point, middle point and end point to calculate the side slopes of a stream. I am using the following script using ArcPro to get the slope for just the left side for now.

def get_slope(lines,id_field):
"""Get the slope of the transects using the first middle and last point of the line"""
    with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(lines,[id_field,'SHAPE@Z','slope']) as cursor:
        for row in cursor:
        # difference in 1st point and mid-point. 100 represents the length between points
        row[2]=((row[1].queryPointAndDistance(0.0,TRUE))-(row[1].queryPointAndDistance(0.5,TRUE)))/100
        cusor.updateRow(row)

But I keep getting errors that 'float' object has no attribute 'positionAlongLine'. I am thinking I am missing something big...

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

queryPointAndDistance (in_point, {as_percentage})
Finds the point on the polyline nearest to the in_point and the distance between those points. Also returns information about the side of the line the in_point is on as well as the distance along the line where the nearest point occurs.

You provided, hence the error... it requires a point

((row[1].queryPointAndDistance(0.0,TRUE))

row[1] is a polyline, you need to get the point on the polyline

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Okay, so I have got to the point that I can access the Z values of the line and print them. How would I just select the first point and the middle point using this script?

def get_slope(lines,id_field):
     """Get the slope of the transects using the first middle and last point of the line"""
     with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(lines,[id_field,'SHAPE@','SHAPE@Z','slope']) as cursor:
         for row in cursor:
         geom=row[1]
             for part in geom:
                 for pnt in part:
                     print(pnt.Z)

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

If you read the help file for the update cursor what does it say about SHAPE@Z?

A double of the feature's z-coordinate.

A double is a float, so you are asking a geometry processing function queryPointAndDistance on a number not a geometry object. If you want to query a geometry object you need to return it using SHAPE@.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Understood. So you are saying that this same equation is possible using the SHAPE@ or does my code need additional lines? Running the code with the SHAPE@ returns an error that TRUE is not defined?

0 Kudos