Update Enterprise Geodatabase License After It Expires

Jump to solution
01-02-2020 09:22 AM
EllenLester
New Contributor III

I am trying to update the license on one of our test databases using the Update Enterprise Geodatabase License tool in ArcGIS Pro. Unfortunately, the old license has already expired. When I provide the input database connection, I get "Error 000837 The workspace is not the correct workspace type." I assume I get this error because the database doesn't have a license, which is problematic. In ArcMap, if you try to create a new database connection to a database with an expired license, it gives you an option to import an ecp file. When you try to do the same thing in Pro, it throws an error about how the product isn't licensed. While I could fix my problem by updating the license in ArcMap, we're about to switch fully to Pro, so I'd really like to know how to do this in Pro. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EllenLester
New Contributor III

When I was trying to get this to work, I always started by trying to access the existing connection (either by running the tool or clicking on the connection to open it.) Then, when it didn't work, I'd try to add a new connection to the database and it would fail as well. However, I found that if I tried creating a new connection without attempting to use the old connection, it prompted for a keycode file. So to anyone else who encounters this problem - restart ArcGIS Pro and create a new database connection before doing anything else, then provide the keycode file when prompted.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Are you using the connection that is signed in as the Geodatabase Administrator (i.e. SDE user)?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
EllenLester
New Contributor III

The existing connections I have set up are not for the geodatabase administrator and when I try to create a new one for the admin account, I get the error "Failed to connect to the specified DBMS instance. A database connection exception has occurred. A product licensing error occurred."

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Ok, I would recommend contacting technical support on this since you cannot use the GP tool to update the licence information.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
EllenLester
New Contributor III

Okay, thank you. I will open a support case.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Please report back what you find out as it may help others.

--- George T.
EllenLester
New Contributor III

When I was trying to get this to work, I always started by trying to access the existing connection (either by running the tool or clicking on the connection to open it.) Then, when it didn't work, I'd try to add a new connection to the database and it would fail as well. However, I found that if I tried creating a new connection without attempting to use the old connection, it prompted for a keycode file. So to anyone else who encounters this problem - restart ArcGIS Pro and create a new database connection before doing anything else, then provide the keycode file when prompted.

JensenDeGrande
New Contributor

Hello, I'm running into the same issue. Did you find a solution? In your 'correct answer', I'm a little confused when you say 'restart ArcGIS Pro and create a new database connection' because I am still running into the " Failed to connect to the specified DBMS instance..." and am never prompted for the keycodes when I try that. 

0 Kudos
EllenLester
New Contributor III

Jensen,

Have you closed out of all ArcGIS Pro projects and made sure all background tasks have closed as well (not sure if that makes a difference, but it's worth trying)? And then, when you open a new project, are you trying to create the new database connection before doing anything else? I tried this a couple times and it worked for me. If it's not working for you, then I'm not sure what else to suggest other than also trying it in ArcMap/ArcCatalog if you have access to it.

-Ellen

0 Kudos
JensenDeGrande
New Contributor

Ellen,

Thanks for your reply. As you mentioned in your original post, ArcMap will prompt you for a new ECP file. In ArcGIS Pro, I discovered that if you attempt to repair the connection and login with the Geodatabase Administrator information (SDE user, as George mentioned earlier) that it will prompt you to update the ArcGIS Server License through the authorization file (ECP file). So, all that needs to be done is submitting the new authorization file. The restarting of ArcGIS Pro didn't work for me, but good to know in the future. Thanks for this thread!

-Jensen 

0 Kudos