Unwanted layer background - can't turn off or remove

Jump to solution
07-22-2021 03:34 AM
GlenShennan
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have this problem that when I add a polygon layer it produces this background colour that obscures the basemap.

Capture.PNG

The view above contains the whole world map, with the standard basemap. I can find no symbology options to change this.

This is what is looks like with the polygon layer on:

Capture2.PNG

That's the same view, nothing moved.

Starting a new project:

Capture3.PNG

and adding the polygon layer:

Capture4.PNG

Changing the layer symbology does nothing. (Except change the polygon colours.) Changing the basemap changes the background colour. (Imagery basemap makes it go dark blue.) Removing the layer leaves the background. Changing the projection does nothing. There appears to be nothing in the layer but the polygons.

Any ideas what is going on here?

ArcGIS Pro 2.8.1

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What is the spatial reference of the layer, and what is its extent? Could you share the screenshot of its extent from layer properties?

What happens if you click "Full Extent" on Map?

Think Location

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What is the spatial reference of the layer, and what is its extent? Could you share the screenshot of its extent from layer properties?

What happens if you click "Full Extent" on Map?

Think Location
GlenShennan
New Contributor III

GlenShennan_0-1626952572962.png

Ah, I clicked full extent and it shows the basmap. The extent of the layer is tiny. I see. The shapefile fits on a tiny area in the Gulf of Guinea. I'm not sure what to do about it but it's only an excercise so it doesn't really matter, I just couldn't figure out what was going on. Thanks very much!

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The coordinate system is incorrect. Extent values are fine.

Use Define Projection tool to specify "GCS WGS 1984" (Geographic Coordiate System > World > WGS 1984) as the coordinate system for the feature class.

Think Location