Unique values symbology - add a value with a space in it

10-27-2021 08:24 AM
KeithAddison1
Occasional Contributor III

I'm trying to add a specific name, ALICEA EDGARDO, into the unique values symbology.  I type in the name as below:

KeithAddison1_1-1635347517695.png

But when I try to commit what I typed in by hitting enter (or tab) it throws in a semicolon, rendering it a value that does not exist in the data.  Why is there a semicolon being add and how can I stop it?  Is the add value window using some particular encoding?

KeithAddison1_2-1635347545033.png

This data is a half million or so polygons so I don't want to wait for it to automatically load nearly a million values just so I can break symbology for one single value.

6 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Look at the actual data record.  If (when) the data record itself has a semi colon in it, your  'Value' column reflects that.  But that's why you are offered the 'Label' column.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
KeithAddison1

The only place I can find a semi colon anywhere in this attribute field is when Pro adds one as above.  It's like it's trying to make a list with the space translated as a semicolon.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

What is the data source?  What version of Pro are you using?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
KeithAddison1

2.8.3, data source is a file GDB.

0 Kudos
JimmyCheung
New Contributor

It looks like it's still a bug, I experienced the exact same issue where I can't add unique value. Can anyone from ESRI please rectify this?

Nelson_Schaefer
Esri Contributor

This behavior is a known bug: BUG-000140040 - Adding a new value to the unique value symbology erroneously adds semicolon in the text input if the newly added value contains spaces.

The bug is fixed in ArcGIS Pro version 2.9 and newer.