Unable to adjust patch size and text font for some Legend elements in a layout in arcgis pro

Jump to solution
12-29-2021 11:17 AM
JayHodny
Occasional Contributor III

Hello.  1) I am trying to adjust the patch sizing in a layout legend in ArcGIS Pro.  While I can for some of the Legend items, I cannot for one.  I have a mix of feature classes and published map services.  In the screen shot, I can modify the patches for the Surface Water features (which is sourced from a map service).  I can also modify the patch sizes for the FEMA data, a feature class in our enterprise GDB.  I cannot modify the patch sizes for the outdoor resource data.  I have tried all that I can think of to adjust the patch width and height.  When I increase or decrease the numbers, the legend box "blinks" with each click, but the patches stay the same size.

2) Also, I would like to prevent the "word wrap" in the FEMA legend item.  The only that I could find that would work, was to decrease the font size, which then be at odds with the rest of the legend text.

Many thanks in advance, Jay

JayHodny_1-1640805400231.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Ok, I think there might be some limitations or issues with the layer type that I want to investigate further. So I can't provide a full explanation at this moment, but in Pro 2.9 I was able to adjust the size as long as I had checked "Only show features visible in the map extent" for the legend item right below the sizing. Can you try that and see if it works?

AubriKinghorn_0-1640808726586.png

Cheers,
Aubri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

What is the source of the outdoor resource area? If it is a publicly accessible web layer, do you have a link?

For the word wrapping, select the legend (not a legend item) and go to the Arrangement tab. Then you can either uncheck word wrapping for labels, or increase the line distance before word wrapping occurs. 

AubriKinghorn_0-1640806266614.png

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
JayHodny

Hello.  Below is the link.  Thanks for the word wrapping hint.  I was not using that correctly.  I unclicked the Labels box, and the word wrap on the FEMA labeling went away, but now the outdoor resource inventory has "moved" in the legend.  Thank you for your great help.

https://enterprise.firstmap.delaware.gov/arcgis/rest/services/Environmental/DE_Protected_Natural_Res...

JayHodny_0-1640807236483.png

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Ok, I think there might be some limitations or issues with the layer type that I want to investigate further. So I can't provide a full explanation at this moment, but in Pro 2.9 I was able to adjust the size as long as I had checked "Only show features visible in the map extent" for the legend item right below the sizing. Can you try that and see if it works?

AubriKinghorn_0-1640808726586.png

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
JayHodny

Bingo!  That seemed to work.  I still have some formatting to do.  I don't like it when the patches are split over two columns, but at least the patches are the same size now.  Progress!

JayHodny_0-1640809449790.png

0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Awesome! Some different legend fitting strategies support the option to Keep items in a single column so that doesn't happen. My personal favorite is "Manual columns" which lets you decide which item belongs in which column. Learn more about legend fitting strategies here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/layouts/layout-fitting-strategies.htm

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
JayHodny

Thank you for your great help!  As I kept peeling away the various settings, I managed to get a legend layout that I am happy with.  Now I wait for feedback from our Planning group......sigh....I will definitely review the strategies link you provided.  I have been all over the world wide web looking for any good in-depth, help documentation on formatting legends in Pro, including online help outside of Esri's documentation.  Happy New Year!

0 Kudos