Select to view content in your preferred language

Turn off layers for a thumbnail image on the same layout in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
05-01-2023 07:36 AM
SaraJL
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hello everyone! 

I'm trying to create a thumbnail image in the same layout - is there a trick to shutting off certain layers in just the thumbnail image?

There are cities (green dots) on the larger version of the map - I want to shut off the cities for the smaller map just because it looks silly:

map + thumbnail.PNG

I tried turning off the layer in the thumbnail version - but it will turn off on both maps. Is there a way to turn the layer off for the thumbnail but not the big map? Locking the Map Frame groups doesn't seem to make a difference, so not sure if it's a separate setting.

It's probably something really easy. Thank you for the help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, in the Catalog Pane, go to Maps, right-click on the primary map and select copy.  Then do a right-click paste in the Maps folder and rename it to Inset Map or something similar.  Pretty easy.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I would create 2 separate Map Views vs using one for the main map and inset map.  Map View 1 is then for the main map and Map View 2 is for the inset map.  Then you can turn off layers as needed in each Map View.

0 Kudos
SaraJL
by

I considered that! Is there an easy way to duplicate the map beyond having to recreate the setup for the second map view? I was trying to avoid having to re-create a second map, but if that's the only way to do it, then that might have to be the route to take.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, in the Catalog Pane, go to Maps, right-click on the primary map and select copy.  Then do a right-click paste in the Maps folder and rename it to Inset Map or something similar.  Pretty easy.

SaraJL
by

That worked! Thank you!

I'm working on a series of maps, and some of them have a lot of detail - so copy paste is way easier. That was exactly what I was looking for!