Transfer symbol definitions from one geodatabase annotation feature class to another

01-09-2023 10:32 AM
Labels (1)
ThomasCrossman
New Contributor III

Is there a way to copy the symbol definitions from one geodatabase annotation feature class to another?

I have built a template (i.e., upopulated) file geodatabase (fGDB) with a few feature-linked annotation feature classes.  These annotation classes are defined to match their source classes in geodatabases that will be extracted, transferred, and loaded (ETL) via an FME workspace; however, to be able to populate the annotation feature classes in the template with features from the source fGDBs and have the annotations rendered correctly from the loaded template annotation feature classes, I must make sure that those target template annotation classes have "pre-defined Symol IDs" before doing the ETL in FME:  FME cannot read (and hence write) symbol IDs.  The latter requirement is stated in FME documentation and is, indeed, confirmed.  So, from a practical standpoint, I interpret this requirement as saying that I must ensure that symbology is defined in the target annotation classes before ETL in FME.  (Please correct me, if you have a different interpretation or understanding of this issue.)  In essence, then, I need to transfer the annotation class symbol definitions in the source GDBs to the target template GDB, hence my initial question for this post.  A solution would suffice, but one that uses arcpy/geoprocessing tools (that I can then implement in FME in a PythonCaller) would be especially wonderful.  Thanks, all, for your help with this one.

0 Kudos
0 Replies