Select to view content in your preferred language

Tool to combine undersized parcels?

Monday
Dan_DMR
New Contributor III

Are there any geoprocessing tools in ArcGIS Pro that would allow me to automatically dissolve contiguous undersized lots in a parcel shapefile to create lots that meet or exceed the minimum lot area for a land use zone. I'm imagining something where the output dataset would include all the original lots that meet or exceed the minimum lot area plus the newly dissolved lots. I feel like I've seen this somewhere but I'm blanking on where to find it. Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Regular Contributor II

I assume you have a value in mind for what deems a lot as undersized? I would do it one of 2 ways:

1. Add a field and calculate a value based on that lot area. Each Lot gets assigned either "Acceptable" or "Undersized". Next, Use the Dissolve tool and set that required fields as "Dissolve Fields" (including the one just added). If you only want contiguous undersized lots, then make sure you don't check the "Create Multipart features" option. 

2. Instead of adding a field and calculating values, simply select all lots that are below the threshold area, then run the Dissolve as per above. Next, select all the lots that are above the threshold in the original dataset and append them to the output from the Dissolve to get a complete dataset. 

Dissolve (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
Forest Products Commission WA
Dan_DMR
New Contributor III

Is there a way to cap the size of the dissolved lots? I'd like the dissolved lots not not significantly exceed the minimum lot size. Would I then just need to use another tool to split the lots to smaller area?

Thanks

0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Regular Contributor II

Hmmmm....this sounds like moving into model builder or python space. I'm not sure how you would go about splitting merged lots out again as you normally need a feature to split by which you wouldn't have. Using Model Builder, you could iterate through each dissolved lot (held in a temporary dataset) and determine if the new merged area is too large or not. Then based on the outcome either the original lots or the temporary merged lot would be appended to an output dataset. Would be a few steps to make all that happen, but thats what comes to mind if I was attempting to do it. 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
0 Kudos
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Regular Contributor II

Manually, it would be a case of doing the dissolve process, but before appending in the rest of the unaffected lots, you would select by attribute lots that exceed your threshold and delete them, then append in all the orginal lots that don't overlap a new merged lot (select by location). 

Lindsay Raabe
GIS Officer
0 Kudos