Tool popup displays even when Pro is not active

03-03-2022 09:45 AM
Paul_Christensen
Occasional Contributor

When I move my mouse cursor over ArcGIS Pro and then onto another window, the tool popup will display when the cursor stops moving. 

For instance, Pro is on my center monitor. If I am working on my right monitor, then transition to the left monitor, my cursor passes Pro on the way to the left monitor. When I get to the left monitor, the popup will display for whichever geoprocessing or editing tool my cursor passed over. The popup shows up wherever the cursor stops, which is usually right in the middle of an email or document. 

This doesn't always occur and seems to randomly start and stop.

The screenshots show the popup displaying over my web browser as I create this post.

10 Replies
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Same exact thing happens to me all the time.

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

@Paul_Christensen  do you happen to have WebRoot antivirus, too?

0 Kudos
Paul_Christensen
Occasional Contributor

I do not.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

It seems these popups from the Modify Features pane.  If you close that pane and ONLY have the Catalog Pane up, does the behavior repeat?

0 Kudos
Paul_Christensen
Occasional Contributor

It does seem to be primarily Modify Features that will cause this. It also seems to be easily reproduceable if the tools are unavailable, such as when working with a Layout. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Interesting.  I searched the ArcGIS Ideas site to see if there was an idea to disable tooltips in ArcGIS Pro much like you can disable snaptips.  There is not an idea to do this as of yet so might be worth generating this idea.  I wonder if there is a registry setting to disable tooltips as well.

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

I wouldn't want to disable tooltips totally, just fix whatever's causing them to show up in front of other active application windows

Paul_Christensen
Occasional Contributor

I agree with rburke, that I wouldn't like to totally disable popups because I do occasionally use them. Just that I would like to see if we can prevent the popups from displaying where they shouldn't.

I just tested this again this morning. It originally looked like the popup displayed wherever the mouse stops. However, If I fly over the tool, and then keep the mouse moving, the popup will display about one second later even if the mouse is still moving. Similar to if I just pause over a tool.

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Yes. This is what happens to me, and like you said, it comes and goes. I have a ton of random/occasional cursor related issues in Pro, and technical support always says its my antivirus. I don't bother reporting it anymore, but it's curious that you don't use WebRoot.

0 Kudos