the layer looks tilted

Jump to solution
03-16-2022 10:54 PM
ZindiaNanver
New Contributor

Hi,

I am hoping someone knows the solution to this.

In ArcGIS Pro I am working with several datasets from the NSW Planning Portal.

In ArcGIS Pro the layers from these datasets look different, they look "tilted".

I have checked the geographic coordinate system, and have ensured that it is on GDA 1994. (same as dataset)

When I go to for example: https://www.planningportal.nsw.gov.au/spatialviewer/#/find-a-property/address

The same data looks different. For example I know that certain lots have an angle of 90 degrees, however, in ArcGIS the angle is more like 85 degrees.

Please see below an example of the cadastral layer.

Does anyone know how to correct this "tilt" so it is the same as on NSW mapping?

 in ArcGIS Pro:

map arcgis pro.PNG

In NSW spatial viewer:

map NSW spatial viewer.PNG

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KimGarbade
Occasional Contributor III

I know you checked the coordinate systems, but it sure looks like a transformation problem to me (I.E. how the coordinate system of the input data (the Lots) is rendered in the map frame in Pro). Maybe your Transformations got thrown off somehow.

You can check the Coordinate System of your Map by right clicking it in the TOC, selecting Properties > Coordinate System...like this: 

KimGarbade_0-1647513839270.png

If it doesn't match the Projected Coordinate System of your input file (like in my example the data frame is WGS 84 and the TestPoly data is in NAD 83 HARN StatePlane Florida East) ArcGIS Pro uses Transformations to "Render" (probably a very poor word) the input layers into the Map frame (I think of it as adjustment on the fly - once again probably poor wording)

KimGarbade_1-1647514236990.png

You can check out the Transformations ArcGIS Pro is using by returning to the properties of the Map and selecting Transformations 

KimGarbade_2-1647514917591.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KimGarbade
Occasional Contributor III

I know you checked the coordinate systems, but it sure looks like a transformation problem to me (I.E. how the coordinate system of the input data (the Lots) is rendered in the map frame in Pro). Maybe your Transformations got thrown off somehow.

You can check the Coordinate System of your Map by right clicking it in the TOC, selecting Properties > Coordinate System...like this: 

KimGarbade_0-1647513839270.png

If it doesn't match the Projected Coordinate System of your input file (like in my example the data frame is WGS 84 and the TestPoly data is in NAD 83 HARN StatePlane Florida East) ArcGIS Pro uses Transformations to "Render" (probably a very poor word) the input layers into the Map frame (I think of it as adjustment on the fly - once again probably poor wording)

KimGarbade_1-1647514236990.png

You can check out the Transformations ArcGIS Pro is using by returning to the properties of the Map and selecting Transformations 

KimGarbade_2-1647514917591.png

0 Kudos
ZindiaNanver
New Contributor

MAny thanks, this helped!

0 Kudos